Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

what kind of master cylinder

Old September 21st, 2015, 07:10 AM

what kind of master cylinder

I am trying to order a master cyl. for my 55 88 from kanter. they want to know if it is a bendix or delco. how do you tell? I can't see anything written on it.
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by fatback
I am trying to order a master cyl. for my 55 88 from kanter. they want to know if it is a bendix or delco. how do you tell? I can't see anything written on it.
Easy to tell apart, if it's a Bindex unit the body will be cast of aluminum, if it's a Moraine unit the body will be of cast Iron. They are visually close in appearance but nothing much interchanges and they take different kits. If you are going to rebuild it yourself I suggest you get the shop manual before you start this project there are a multitude of parts in those cases ....Tedd
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:45 AM

it does not have power brakes. I believe it is cast iorn. so it would be a moraine or a delco?
Old September 21st, 2015, 02:03 PM

Good question. I have never had a non power brake Oldsmobile but if you ask Kanter what size the piston they carry the manual brakes all seem to be 1 inch for the piston and rubber cups that seal them up. The manual does not mention different types of masters for non power brakes which seems odd if there were two types with different pistons and internal parts.I'm wondering if they (Kanter) are mixing up the power brake and non power kits as was I. Fusick only lists one kit for 39 to 56 cars for all manual brake cars part #3626 so I think kanter has something mixed up. You might give Fusick a call and see what they say. 860-623-1589.... Tedd
Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:43 AM

X2 Tedd, I think all Non Power master cylinders are the same on Olds, Buick, Pontiac, and maybe Cadillac for several year models surrounding '55's. LARRY
Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:57 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Here is a new one on ebay that you might consider. As old as these things are it is common to have pitting in the cylinder. I don't know anything about this company but I just saw it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-1954-Ol...5a01fd&vxp=mtr
Old October 3rd, 2015, 09:35 AM
Brent in Georgia

Master Cylinder

There is only one for manual brakes, here is the one I bought and it was a really good rebuild & they have a warranty..stay away from that E bay junk:
https://www.kanter.com/productdetail...Router=Catalog
Old October 3rd, 2015, 05:26 PM
Brent in Georgia

I was incorrect

I looked at my records and I got my NEW master cylinder from Fusick, not a rebuilt it was new"
http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....sp?number=4363

Sorry I guess my memory is not as good as it used to be........
Old October 3rd, 2015, 07:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

And you know this to be junk from ebay how? I have bought very little stuff off ebay that has been junk. Fusick is a good company and all us Oldsmobile people are glad to have them. I have bought a couple things from them that were junk like a set of plug wires and an ignition switch.
Old October 8th, 2015, 04:42 AM

I got one off ebay. from a place called old parts I think. seems ok, time will tell. the adjustment deal that hooks to the pedal was all messed up. the rod off the old master broke off in the other part. had to drill and tap. still not adjusted right. don't have enuff pedal. anybody know where I can get the other parts that connect to the pedal. not sure what its called.
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:33 AM

old parts source. a new unit.