Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Roof Canvas on a 1931 Patrician

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:45 AM

Roof Canvas on a 1931 Patrician

Hoping someone has an easy answer. Just got back from a 900 mile pick up with a 31 sedan on an open trailer and the top is "loose". Meaning when we picked the car up the top was smooth and while there are no tears or visible places of separation along the edges, the fabric looks like it was sucked away from the roof and maybe stretched? Did this happen because these cars didnt travel 65mph and I should have wrapped the top? Think a heat gun will draw this tight aain or do I need to take it to a trim shop and replace the top? Thanks for any insight. Pat
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:39 AM

Everything I say here is just a guess, w/o looking at it...it's hard to know! Right, it sounds like the top has billowed from speed. This happens with all 'verts at speed. Hindsight being the best, you should have put the top down if possible. If the top is canvas, I don't see a heat gun shrinking it. If it's vinyl...maybe. Maybe the top can be tightened by a pro. I doubt at any rate you would need a new top. You could leave it in the sun and see if it shrinks. If it's like canvas, you could hose it and dry and see if it shrinks. I wouldn't use a heat gun, I'd take it to a pro. Wait for other responses.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Everything I say here is just a guess, w/o looking at it...it's hard to know! Right, it sounds like the top has billowed from speed. This happens with all 'verts at speed. Hindsight being the best, you should have put the top down if possible. If the top is canvas, I don't see a heat gun shrinking it. If it's vinyl...maybe. Maybe the top can be tightened by a pro. I doubt at any rate you would need a new top. You could leave it in the sun and see if it shrinks. If it's like canvas, you could hose it and dry and see if it shrinks. I wouldn't use a heat gun, I'd take it to a pro. Wait for other responses.

I'm just guessing also but I think his car is a sedan body style with the fabric inset in the top panel. If his car is a convert style the trip on the back of an open car trailer could cause interior covering to come apart.

Henry
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:10 AM

Yes it is a fabric inset and not a convertible. I will try to get a photo and post it today.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:27 AM

Here are pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1402.jpg (72.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1401.jpg (46.6 KB, 36 views)
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM

Talk to an expert about that roof

Originally Posted by deaddds
Hoping someone has an easy answer. Just got back from a 900 mile pick up with a 31 sedan on an open trailer and the top is "loose". Meaning when we picked the car up the top was smooth and while there are no tears or visible places of separation along the edges, the fabric looks like it was sucked away from the roof and maybe stretched? Did this happen because these cars didnt travel 65mph and I should have wrapped the top? Think a heat gun will draw this tight aain or do I need to take it to a trim shop and replace the top? Thanks for any insight. Pat
__________________________________________________ ____

Before you do anything contact an expert. Haartz is one: http://www.haartz.com/en/contact_us.asp
They seem to know about those old 'cloth' inserts.
Jerry