Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

No brake or tail lights - 1948

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2021 | 07:27 AM

No brake or tail lights - 1948

So I was very familiar with my 57 having it for 35 plus years.

This 48 is a dinosaur and I need to re-learn all over.

I don't have any tail lights or brake lights. Other that a bulb issue, where should I start? Headlights are good. I just learned today that there is not a fuse panel either....ugh..

Thanks for your patience.
Old August 31st, 2021 | 08:16 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Since you don't have tail or brake lights the first thing I would look for is to make sure the lights are grounded. I think there has to be fuses somewhere. No way you could have unprotected circuits.
Old August 31st, 2021 | 10:07 AM
Administrator

Or get out a test light and start following the circuit and see if and where you lost voltage.
Old August 31st, 2021 | 01:31 PM
Oldsdruid

First thing I'd look at is bulbs and sockets, to make sure the bulbs are correct and sockets not corroded. There is always a chance someone has put in a 12v bulb with wrong contacts.

The 1948 shop book probably won't have the nice color wiring charts the later books do, but it's still a worthwhile investment. Some of the aftermarket service companies like United Motors Service and Atlas also offered wiring charts for independent garages and service stations.

No need going into this blind when the reference stuff is available.

Look on the headlight switch itself and see if there's a fuse mounted on it. That might explain lack of taillights but should not affect brake lights. Headlight switch might be grunged up internally, in which case contact cleaner or even WD40 will help.
Old September 1st, 2021 | 04:55 AM

Great advice from others. I’d only add that while there isn’t a fuse box, each powered line does have a glass fuse in line at some point, most are under the dash near the switch source. Ground issues account for most power problems. Check those grounds, meaning check the bulb bases themselves. You’re going to need a multi-meter, wiring diagram, and some trial and error. I had the same issue on my 1949. In the end, mine came down to someone doing something wrong in the past. The brake light switch wasn’t wired up as it should be. Wires were backwards. I never would have known it if I didn’t have a diagram. Start at the power source (battery or power block shared with other powered items, work your way to the switch, then the tail lights themselves
Old September 1st, 2021 | 06:36 AM

Hello,

Last night I was able to get the brake lights and turn signals working. (I think they were working before and I didn't see it).

What is odd is that there are no "running" tail lights back there; only brake lights. Not having a 48 before is this normal?

There are in fact 2 small tail lights mounted under the rear bumper. They work as running lamps. Was that stock?

Please see below.
Thanks!

Old September 5th, 2021 | 01:19 PM
Oldsdruid

No. My money says they were added to correct a taillight issue or somebody wanted extra lights (think how some tractor-trailers are lit up).

Dig around under there and in the trunk to make sure someone didn't cut the wires to the original taillights and run them to the ones under the bumper.