Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

help with feul pump vacume lines

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM

help with feul pump vacume lines

I have a bad case of crs,one line goes to the wipers i know, but i dont know which one.Havent got the second line so far as i can tell so ill have to make one.Anybody with a 55-56 that can get me a few pics would be great,which one goes where on the fuel pump and where do they go?
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:26 PM

Unfortunately the digital camera is smarter than I am, so I can't supply pictures... One of those lines indeed goes to the wiper motor, the other goes to the vacuum tree that is threaded into the base of the carb in the rear. I think looking at it from the front of the car the left one goes to the motor and the right one goes to the vacuum tree... Could be wrong though. I will be more specific when I get a chance to take a peek at mine.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:56 AM

Thanks oldsmobum ,what carb(s )are you running?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Jen

Maybe the pictures and diagram here will help: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...olds-88-a.html
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:14 AM

I believe Oldsmobum is correct.I also am missing my car so this is a memory thing. My carb is a f4g and the fitting attachés to the rear of the carb.You may not have that fitting on a non stock three carb setup, can't tell from your avatar picture. If wipers are a must(and they are for me) you might look into a electric wiper conversion. I have been told( disclaimer inserted here) that 55 ,56 57 Chevy is a easy modification to a Olds and thats on my bucket list for this winter....Tedd
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:22 PM

I have a single 2gc. That tree at the base of the carb is a Source vacuum so go to the base of the middle carb.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:43 AM

Ok i run one from pump to wipers and tee it off to wiper switch and heat valve i think, and one to base of center carb right.do you think there is a differance witch line goes to which or do they draw the same vacume on either side?Thanks for the replys,got my new carb bases and linkage today so i will be ready sunday to turn the key i hope.
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Railroad Mike

vac. lines

Originally Posted by golds56
Ok i run one from pump to wipers and tee it off to wiper switch and heat valve i think, and one to base of center carb right.do you think there is a differance witch line goes to which or do they draw the same vacume on either side?Thanks for the replys,got my new carb bases and linkage today so i will be ready sunday to turn the key i hope.
'55 324ci, 4gc carb.; standing in front of car, right line on fuel pump goes to the block at rear of carb.(supply). Left side goes to a "Y" and runs to the wiper motor and the wiper switch. That is the way mine is(came that way). Wipers work SLOW. Don't have a squirter bottle hooked up yet. Vac from the switch goes to the bottle that makes the squirters work. Haven't completed and tried, but according to all I've found, that is the way they work. Anyone know how much vacuum (in inches) is there supposed to be at the pump?? Thanks!!
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Carb guy says if it drops below 2lbs wipers wont work .I only need vacume to 1 carb so mabey the pump evens out the distribution between carb and wiper functions.The pump is for backup when cruising the vacume from the engine drops,at idle it goes up,or so ive heard.
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM

Your vacuum pump is for the wipers and that is it. It is so that the vacuum to it is constant unlike manifold source vacuum. That way your wipers wouldn't slow down or stop due to inconsistent vacuum.