Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Heater motor Olds 53

Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:33 PM

Heater motor Olds 53

Hi All
Can anybody help me out with the heater motor… when I bought the car it wasn’t working but after cleaning and new brushes it worked fine for a month or so then it’s started to make a terrible noise, apart again and it was silent for another week then it started making noise again. Bushings are a little so so and axel is slightly bent so I think that I need a fresh motor but I can’t find it at Fusick or any other supplier

By looking in my part cross over manual Olds 53 seems to be a lonely bird but I assume that some of the other cars from the same era must fit?

/ Andreas
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Andreas.Johansson
Hi All
Can anybody help me out with the heater motor… when I bought the car it wasn’t working but after cleaning and new brushes it worked fine for a month or so then it’s started to make a terrible noise, apart again and it was silent for another week then it started making noise again. Bushings are a little so so and axel is slightly bent so I think that I need a fresh motor but I can’t find it at Fusick or any other supplier

By looking in my part cross over manual Olds 53 seems to be a lonely bird but I assume that some of the other cars from the same era must fit?

/ Andreas
Try to save the one you have by doing a rebuild. It looks like a one year edition, possibly because it was the first 12 volt(?). Otherwise you may have to "substitute" something different. The part number should be 5044256 if that helps any. I couldn't find it in the Chevy parts book. I don't know about any other applications.
If you don't mind dealing with salvage yards Shenandoah Auto Parts, Roanoke, VA, 800-777-7908; and All American Classics, Vancouver, WA, 800-955-4999; say that they have used ones.

Last edited by Ozzie; May 4th, 2015 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Added information
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, from my interchange manual I get the same part number and its listed at 21.55$ so I think I will order two…
I think I need to buy a motor that looks similar and simply do a mix of new and old part, I will try to find something over here before I go for any salvage yards overseas.

After my previous attempt it works fine for a while and after a while the current increases and it start to move harsh/slow and make a terrible noise.

/ Andreas
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Andreas.Johansson
Thanks for the reply, from my interchange manual I get the same part number and its listed at 21.55$ so I think I will order two…
I think I need to buy a motor that looks similar and simply do a mix of new and old part, I will try to find something over here before I go for any salvage yards overseas.

After my previous attempt it works fine for a while and after a while the current increases and it start to move harsh/slow and make a terrible noise.

/ Andreas
Perhaps the bushings just need some oil after so many years. Or the motor's armature is rubbing on the adjacent surface. If you can find a new substitute motor, it would probably be best. Try a place that sells 12 volt DC motors.
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:13 AM

If you can't find a solution, drop me a PM. Will finish parting this car soon, looks like scrap price will not rebound, I have been waiting. Shipping to Sweden would be murder I'm sure. The end cap on the motor as seen is the tough part to match in any replacement. Good luck.

Last edited by coldwar; May 5th, 2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Have you looked at a "55-58 Chev. Truck Heater motor. The motor looks very similar ,and they are readily available on the Internet. Maybe you could fabricate and make it work! Best of luck! Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; May 5th, 2015 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Correction
Old May 7th, 2015, 10:56 AM

Be sure to pull the carb and fuel pump, too before it's scrapped. I'm sure there is more, too that I cannot see. I'd be interested in the clock. Also, the heater control valve if it moves freely. I also need the front fender braces for a '53.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:09 AM

Thanks’ for all reply as ideas, I will try do something of what I have and hope to find a similar motor and go from that.

I would love to have a parts car like you have Coldwar, but as you say the shipping is a murder…

Finally our car season has started, went to a night cruising by last weekend and the following weekend we have our big local happening were some 300 old US cars take a trip in the neighborhood and end up with a party all night long.
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:50 AM

Hi all
For your info I found out that a heater motor for Cadillac 1953 and up are identical, even the base plate that sits between the motor and fan housing are the same J.
So much easier to get a Caddy motor, I was able to order it from a Caddy parts guy in Sweden that had new ones in stock!!!

/ Andreas