Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Gas Mileage 324 4 barrell

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Gas Mileage 324 4 barrell

What kind of gas mileage of those with a 324 4 barrell getting? I checked mine after driving my normal way and only got 9 mpg. A lot of foot in the carb. Then I checked it again after driving without getting into it. I got 20 mpg. Just curious what others are getting.
Thanks - Rick
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:57 AM

Very similar

Your results are very similar to the '55 I've got. A well tuned engine and steady accelerator will work wonders for the MPG.
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM

4bbl carb, new tuneup, radial tires, top down the whole way .

On HWY 1 Monterey to Big Sir wife got a little less than 12 mpg, sometimes you could almost see your own tail lights it is so twisty. On the way home on HWY I 5 at 75 and above( just to keep up with traffic) I averaged almost 16.That was about 5 tanks of gas total trip, I didn't keep track on all fill ups but other trips have shown that that is about what I'm going to get . The on and off thing seems to be more of a factor than setting it at a constant speed and leaving it there even at sustain high speeds.....Just my car your milage may differ....Lost i the fifties...Tedd

PS Here is the car and wife at Pebble Beach, great trip. put it on your bucket list it's a must do with the top down if you got one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
granny at pebble.jpg (65.1 KB, 36 views)
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Mine Will Get About 16 MPG On Good Hiway Run And Don't Seem To Matter Too Much Either Using Air Conditioner Or Not, Just as Long As You Keep A Steady Foot! Larry
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't have enough experience yet to have an idea on mileage but the old gal seems to be pretty thirsty around town.
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:29 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I have a 500 mile trip coming up and will keep track of it then. My gas gauge needs attention ( a project for this winter). So I need to go by mileage for fill ups and to try to get the tank as empty as I can before I drop it.
Rick
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Exclamation Be careful

Originally Posted by WHIPOLDS
Thanks for all the replies! I have a 500 mile trip coming up and will keep track of it then. My gas gauge needs attention ( a project for this winter). So I need to go by mileage for fill ups and to try to get the tank as empty as I can before I drop it.
Rick
Due to the configuration of the pick up tube in the tank, some 50s Olds vehicles have been known to "run out" of fuel with 3 or 4 gallons remaining in the tank. This has urged their owners to modify the pick ups and/or the gauge float to minimize this condition. If yours is "original" don't drive with the gauge under 1/4 until you know its characteristics (or carry some spare fuel in another container).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:52 AM

Thanks Ozzie - good to know!
Rick
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Due to the configuration of the pick up tube in the tank, some 50s Olds vehicles have been known to "run out" of fuel with 3 or 4 gallons remaining in the tank. This has urged their owners to modify the pick ups and/or the gauge float to minimize this condition. If yours is "original" don't drive with the gauge under 1/4 until you know its characteristics (or carry some spare fuel in another container).
Ha...yes, I'm am VERY aware of this!!

I can push mine to ~1/8 but that's it.

As to the original question - I average ~14 mph driving somewhere near 'normal'
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM

Hi,
right back from a trip to Berlin (300miles one way)
Speed 60-65mph = 18mpg to Berlin
Speed 65-80mph = 14mpg on the way home (i was in a kind of hurry ;-)
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Recently ran out of gas thinking I had plenty. Tail pipes a little to dark, so I am removing carburetor to have it completely rebuilt and engine tested. Don't know if that will help.
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM

If you haven't, try taking the same trip in a motor home, never again.
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:44 AM

My car club did a trip to the Penn State Automotive Restoration program in Williamsport PA. The program is in the second year. Very impressive. They were doing a couple of cars for the AACA museum. It was great to see the enthusiasm of the students there.
I got 13 mpg - a lot of stop and go. Was a beautiful drive!
Rick
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Railroad Mike

FYI- Shell gas seems to have an additive to their gas that keeps the guage working smoothly. It seems that the sending unit does not see enough movement at the 1/4 to empty setting to read properly. I use shell about every 3 or 4 tanks in my '29 A and my '55 olds. Just sayin! Give it a try..
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM

I'm not sure how a different gas would affect the gauge as the fuel only floats the float everything else from then on becomes an electrical resistance issue but if it works for you stay with it....Tedd
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 55miketn
FYI- Shell gas seems to have an additive to their gas that keeps the guage working smoothly. It seems that the sending unit does not see enough movement at the 1/4 to empty setting to read properly. I use shell about every 3 or 4 tanks in my '29 A and my '55 olds. Just sayin! Give it a try..

Didn't they get sued for destroying sending units in the late 80's?
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Professur
Didn't they get sued for destroying sending units in the late 80's?
I believe the problem was in the older cork styled floats that were coated with shellac which worked well till the introduction of alcohol into the fuel, shellac is dissolved by alcohol and after a while the floats became gas soaked heavy and caused the gauge to read incorrectly. That was what I was told somewhere in the 80's...Your milage may differ....Tedd
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Railroad Mike

The older cars have a rheostst for the ground that the float moves . When this gets dirty/corroded from inactivity, it doesn't read properly. The same as an electrical rheostst that controls current doesn't work properly if left to get corroded over time: case in point-my guitar (electric) has to be llubricated from time to time or the rheostat control ***** will cause static. (not used very often) Anyway, it has helped mine-the ground rheostst is in the fuel tank. Just sayin!!
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:04 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

I found out the hard way , I ran out of fuel with gauge showing between empty and quarter on the gauge, as for consumption I haven't really calculated it but I'm very happy with the 4 barrels consumption , I had the original carby rebuilt , replaced the points with a petronix electronic ignition in the stock dizzy , I could not be happier with the way it goes, super smooth idle , great response when I take off from a stand still for a big heavy car, just a pleasure to drive and would not change anything, love cruisn in our 55