Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Father in-law finally gave up/in

Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:16 AM

Father in-law finally gave up/in

I am new to all of this and unsure of exactly what i have but thought i would share. Some of the particulars of this one might be special. See for yourself:

1948. ??? Custom Cruiser "98" ???
Straight 6.
Under 21k original miles.
Original interior.??

Was driven into the barn 30 years ago. Had it towed out this week (sold the property). Planning to keep it this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2554.JPG (2.38 MB, 64 views)
IMG_2556.JPG (3.97 MB, 64 views)
IMG_2557.JPG (3.82 MB, 68 views)
IMG_2558.JPG (2.87 MB, 72 views)
IMG_2559.JPG (2.64 MB, 68 views)
Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I moved your thread to the Vintage section. Great group and they can answer all your questions.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 12:05 PM

The 76 in the VIN likely indicates a Dynamic 76. It's definitely not a 98 nor a Custom Cruiser. No 98 ever came with a 6-cylinder engine (the "8" in 98 indicates 8-cylinder engine). Back in those days, the second digit of the model indicated the number of cylinders on the engine, so a 76 is a 70-series Oldsmobile with a 6-cylinder engine, as your car has.

Here's a 70-series four-door sedan from the '48 Olds brochure. Looks a lot like the car in your photos.

Old August 23rd, 2018, 12:15 PM

Welcome to the site. That's a beautiful car. I bet it will be a joy to drive.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 12:24 PM

Re: What do I have?

Originally Posted by Breaking Ben
I am new to all of this and unsure of exactly what i have but thought i would share. Some of the particulars of this one might be special. See for yourself:

1948. ??? Custom Cruiser "98" ???
Straight 6.
Under 21k original miles.
Original interior.??

Was driven into the barn 30 years ago. Had it towed out this week (sold the property). Planning to keep it this way.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Disclaimer: I'm no restoratoin authority and am a long way from being an expert like Ozzie (member on this site).
A pillar tag 76W5283:
The first two numerals indicate the car is a 70 Series six cylinder, thus 76. The engine is a flathead 238 cubic inch "straight six." This is the B body medium size Oldsmobile with 125 inch wheelbase. Other series are 60 and 90. 60 was smaller Oldsmobile with 119 inch wheelbase and 90 was the large more deluxe series but also with 125 inch wheelbase. I believe all 90 series were 8 cylinder engines but had more deluxe fittings than the 70 series..

The third stamp is a W and I believe stands for place of manufacture Wilmington Delaware.

I think the last four digits have to do with manufacturing order, thus5283 on your tag would be the 5,283rd 70 series body manufactured at the Wilmington Del. plant.

You should find a more complete tag on the firewall under the hood that will have more data. If it is still there take a close up photo and post it. Also under hood, rear view and trunk photos will better document and identify your very original 1948 Oldsmobile. I think your plan to keep it original is spot on. The grille and trim photos show typical weathering and likely some pitting from salt on roads. Bumpers are steel but grille and most of side trim are pot metal. Very few reproduction parts so finding needed replacement parts networking here on Classic Oldsmobile and other Olds sites, gleaning eBay and Craigslist and scouting out any vintage junk yards that may be within reasonable distance. The good news is most don't colect four door cars so parts specific to them are more plentiful.

The car looks very complete. I really don't know if its original upholstery but am guessing those are seat covers and are protecting what might be very nice original upholstered seats.
Give it a good wash job but don't go any further than that for now and retake the photos from all anglles outside and inside. It would be great to keep it in the family.
Jerry
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What a great looking car. I'd put it inside to protect that patina of dust... I'm surprised the tires are still holding air, but when that car is cleaned up, I bet it's original paint.

How interesting. The picture of the back seat appears to show wheel skirts that may or may not be for this car?
I don't know if GM was making 80/20 loop carpet back then, which is what appears to be on the floors. The seat fabric looks too fresh to be from 1948.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:26 PM
same but different

What a great find, thanks for sharing! Welcome to the site.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Disclaimer: I'm no restoratoin authority and am a long way from being an expert like Ozzie (member on this site).
A pillar tag 76W5283:
The first two numerals indicate the car is a 70 Series six cylinder, thus 76. The engine is a flathead 238 cubic inch "straight six." This is the B body medium size Oldsmobile with 125 inch wheelbase. Other series are 60 and 90. 60 was smaller Oldsmobile with 119 inch wheelbase and 90 was the large more deluxe series but also with 125 inch wheelbase. I believe all 90 series were 8 cylinder engines but had more deluxe fittings than the 70 series..

The third stamp is a W and I believe stands for place of manufacture Wilmington Delaware.

I think the last four digits have to do with manufacturing order, thus5283 on your tag would be the 5,283rd 70 series body manufactured at the Wilmington Del. plant.

You should find a more complete tag on the firewall under the hood that will have more data. If it is still there take a close up photo and post it. Also under hood, rear view and trunk photos will better document and identify your very original 1948 Oldsmobile. I think your plan to keep it original is spot on. The grille and trim photos show typical weathering and likely some pitting from salt on roads. Bumpers are steel but grille and most of side trim are pot metal. Very few reproduction parts so finding needed replacement parts networking here on Classic Oldsmobile and other Olds sites, gleaning eBay and Craigslist and scouting out any vintage junk yards that may be within reasonable distance. The good news is most don't colect four door cars so parts specific to them are more plentiful.

The car looks very complete. I really don't know if its original upholstery but am guessing those are seat covers and are protecting what might be very nice original upholstered seats.
Give it a good wash job but don't go any further than that for now and retake the photos from all anglles outside and inside. It would be great to keep it in the family.
Jerry
What Jerry said.^^^ . If mine I would give it a mild soap hand wash job everywhere and see what all you will need or are missing, make a list. It sure looks complete and would be fun to restore.
I have been looking at a 47 for a year and have been afraid to ask the owner if he wanted to sell it. Mostly afraid he might say yes and I would be looking for a place to store it and the money to get it done..... Tedd
Old August 26th, 2018, 07:15 AM

Thanks for all the input/knowledge/expertise. Moderator said this was a good group of people, understated in my opinion. Hope I can add something or at least be a worthy apprentice.

Front and Back seats are vinyl, maybe they have they been recovered? I will call some family to see who did what before it got to me. I haven't checked whats under that carpet...yet. What should be there? Will take a closer look at the skirts to see if they match or are even for the car, I never gave it a thought. I do know that it was great-grandma's and heard it has an "A" title, though i haven't seen that yet.

Excited to get it cleaned up for Weddings, Proms or groceries now and again. Going to do as little as i can to keep it the way it is, but enough to ensure its safe and protected into the future.

I'll keep the pics coming...
Old August 26th, 2018, 07:22 AM

Welcome aboard,

Like many others have said, I'd clean it up and see what ya got
Old August 26th, 2018, 10:42 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Breaking Ben

Front and Back seats are vinyl, maybe they have they been recovered?
Actually , those are aftermarket "Rayon " seat covers .
Very popular , "back in the day " , they were often installed by car owners on new cars to preserve the original upholstery .
If the car is going to be a "driver " , I would suggest leaving them as is . They are very durable .

If you want a "shocking experience " , just slide across one and touch a door handle .

Old August 27th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I remember back in the day (the 50's), the first thing my Dad would do when he got a new car was take it and have seat covers put on. I remember plaid patterns with some kind of quilted vinyl on the top part. I also remember ordering clear seat covers from a company called Fingerhut. Man those things were hot in the summer. Charlie I do remember that spark from your finger to the door handle.
Old August 27th, 2018, 07:52 AM

As I remember most of the prewar cars had mohair seats did they continue that after the war?

And as a I remember that moment I had a 53 Hudson with pristine upholstery that had clear seat covers, you could throw a arc for 3/4 inch if there was a North wend blowing, Pretty interior though.... Tedd
Old August 27th, 2018, 08:21 AM

The Fix for Plastic Seat Covers

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I remember back in the day (the 50's), the first thing my Dad would do when he got a new car was take it and have seat covers put on. I remember plaid patterns with some kind of quilted vinyl on the top part. I also remember ordering clear seat covers from a company called Fingerhut. Man those things were hot in the summer. Charlie I do remember that spark from your finger to the door handle.
__________________________________________________ _________

The "fix" for summertime hot plastic seat covers were the ventilated pads that fit for individuals.and kept your legs, butt and back off the plastic. They'd last about a summer and you had to take care getting in and out of the seat so the pad didn't move.. I worked in a service station after school and remember the owner would order about four boxes of those to sell as well as ordering the bug catchers you tied onto the front of the car radiator to keep bugs from clogging up radiator air flow during "bug season." It was also very common to get requests from customers to blow the radiator out. We used the air hoses meant for tires, raised the hood and blew the bugs out from the rear toward the front. It did help keep air flowing through radiators and the motor a little cooler on hot summer days.
Jerry

Old August 27th, 2018, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
__________________________________________________ _________

The "fix" for summertime hot plastic seat covers were the ventilated pads that fit for individuals.and kept your legs, butt and back off the plastic. They'd last about a summer and you had to take care getting in and out of the seat so the pad didn't move.. I worked in a service station after school and remember the owner would order about four boxes of those to sell as well as ordering the bug catchers you tied onto the front of the car radiator to keep bugs from clogging up radiator air flow during "bug season." It was also very common to get requests from customers to blow the radiator out. We used the air hoses meant for tires, raised the hood and blew the bugs out from the rear toward the front. It did help keep air flowing through radiators and the motor a little cooler on hot summer days.
Jerry
Looks like they still make those seat pads. I can remember my grandfather had those in his '58 Super 88.

https://www.autobarn.net/arcoolwirsp...yABEgKubvD_BwE

Amazon Amazon

Old August 27th, 2018, 01:44 PM

I'd say the carpets are not original. They match front and back and Olds didn't have full carpet in the front compartment until the early 50s - even in 98s. The rear carpet should match what is on the footrest on the back of the front seat.

This could be a DeLuxe car. It would have a folding rear seat armrest. It looks to me to be a standard seat cover over a folding armrest seat, but maybe it's just the light...
Old August 27th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Wow, those clear seat covers bring back memories. My father had them on his new 53 and 55 Dodges. The seat back near the package tray got a little brittle from the sun after a while.
Old August 27th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The original seat upholstery could very well be hiding under those covers.
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Oh no, not again...

Originally Posted by Allan R
The original seat upholstery could very well be hiding under those covers.
Probably is; every time I've come across covers like that the original stuff is usually underneath and still very presentable. A lot of guys back in the day did that just to protect their investment, particularly when there were kids around. The broad cloth that's underneath would stain or tear very easily, so a lot of people put these covers on from new. Some were even offered at dealerships and installed after the PDI was completed.
Old August 30th, 2018, 03:39 PM

All I can say is WOW.....
Old August 30th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sooo, has this car had a bath yet?

I was looking through some Oldsmobile ads from yesteryear and saw one of these cars with the rear skirts on. That means the ones in the back seat are likely original to the car. Check the rear wheel openings for attachment brackets.
Old August 30th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Although this ad is for 1947, there's not a lot of body styling difference, except for the amount of stainless and chrome between models. But this is what those skirts would look like on the car I think.