Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

57 frame ?

Old August 15th, 2018, 11:10 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 393
57 frame ?

Hope everyone is good.
So, i have some questions regarding Oldsmobiles of the 50"s and older in general. Did any use the torque tube that Buick used?

what are the pros and cons of the x frame?

Whats needed to put in a th400, bbo 425, 455 or sbo 350 in these cars?.

the car im looking at is a super 88 4 door 1957.

thanks
RocketRonnie is offline  
Old August 15th, 2018, 04:13 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Tedd Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Ranch Ca.
Posts: 5,070
As Far as torque tubes go no mid fifties Old's used a torque tube.I believe even during the Hydra-matic shortage when Buick Dinda-flow's were used on a few cars they still had a the regular drive line configuration.

Nothing wrong with a X frame except it makes it hard to work (remove) the pan compared to a ladder designed frame. They are heavy and hell for stout though.

What's needed for a swap is mostly a lot of money,it has all been done before, lots of room to work with. Not my cup of tea but it's not my car or money either.... Tedd
Tedd Thompson is online now  
Old August 15th, 2018, 06:25 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson View Post
As Far as torque tubes go no mid fifties Old's used a torque tube.I believe even during the Hydra-matic shortage when Buick Dinda-flow's were used on a few cars they still had a the regular drive line configuration.

Nothing wrong with a X frame except it makes it hard to work (remove) the pan compared to a ladder designed frame. They are heavy and hell for stout though.

What's needed for a swap is mostly a lot of money,it has all been done before, lots of room to work with. Not my cup of tea but it's not my car or money either.... Tedd
Thanks Tedd, good news about the tube and frame. Where does most the money go to make the swap possible?
RocketRonnie is offline  
Old August 16th, 2018, 08:35 AM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Tedd Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Ranch Ca.
Posts: 5,070
Originally Posted by RocketRonnie View Post
Thanks Tedd, good news about the tube and frame. Where does most the money go to make the swap possible?
Usually in someone else pocket is where most of it goes unless you have good fabrication skills. You will need to make (fab) a rear cross member for the transmission and some kind of front motor mount system. I have heard of people who use / adapt a Toranado front motor mount to the front mount of the 371 and get by instead of side mounts.

You will need to have a different drive line made and it's doubtful if your 4 door came with a limited slip diff (very rare in 57) so a a different rear end will need to be sourced unless you keep it a peg leg.

Tons of small stuff like radiators, electric wiring, exhaust system, probably shocks and suspension changes. and of course brakes and master cylinder change. More but I can't think of them now.

If mine I would and I was to do this on the cheap I would spend most of my money on the original engine and transmission rebuild, maybe add a cam and J2 setup for bling and a extra 30 HP. Make it safe and add some cool wheels and a good paint job and just drive the Old Girl and let people admire it as it was 60 years ago.The thing weighs over 4500 pounds it will never be a real hot rod, though quicker than what it was stock that weight is hard to over come.Plus every time you put a cutting torch to it it devalues the car even more. You will never get your money back out of a engine swap on a 4 door 60 year old car. You might on a original kept car (probably not though)..... Just my thoughts and as you can tell I a fan of unmolested cars but I feel my points are legitimate at least for me. Best of luck what ever you do.... Tedd
Tedd Thompson is online now  
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:20 AM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson View Post
Usually in someone else pocket is where most of it goes unless you have good fabrication skills. You will need to make (fab) a rear cross member for the transmission and some kind of front motor mount system. I have heard of people who use / adapt a Toranado front motor mount to the front mount of the 371 and get by instead of side mounts.

You will need to have a different drive line made and it's doubtful if your 4 door came with a limited slip diff (very rare in 57) so a a different rear end will need to be sourced unless you keep it a peg leg.

Tons of small stuff like radiators, electric wiring, exhaust system, probably shocks and suspension changes. and of course brakes and master cylinder change. More but I can't think of them now.

If mine I would and I was to do this on the cheap I would spend most of my money on the original engine and transmission rebuild, maybe add a cam and J2 setup for bling and a extra 30 HP. Make it safe and add some cool wheels and a good paint job and just drive the Old Girl and let people admire it as it was 60 years ago.The thing weighs over 4500 pounds it will never be a real hot rod, though quicker than what it was stock that weight is hard to over come.Plus every time you put a cutting torch to it it devalues the car even more. You will never get your money back out of a engine swap on a 4 door 60 year old car. You might on a original kept car (probably not though)..... Just my thoughts and as you can tell I a fan of unmolested cars but I feel my points are legitimate at least for me. Best of luck what ever you do.... Tedd
thanks for knocking some sence into me. I appricate it, i have some space to pick up another car and a little money put aside so its like trying to figure out were to go on vacation.
i can pick up said 57 with no engine for 1000.
a 61 dynamic 88 ht that needs all the interior done and looks bad for 2200.
a 68 olds 98 convertible that needs alot plus some windows and windshield for 700$.
a Buick 2 door ht electra (like a 98) that runs with good interior for 1200.
or (this one will hurt the pocket more) a 39 buick buisness coupe with an olds v8 that is a project.

i really want a bubble top but it just might not be a good time for me seeing as how parts for it cost so much.

RocketRonnie is offline  
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:50 AM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Tedd Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Ranch Ca.
Posts: 5,070
All of them come with issues that are expensive to over come. The 57 needs a engine that is hard to source and has a transmission that will only bolt up to a first generation Old's engine.

The 61 needs expensive interior, has a transmission that was problematic from the get go and no one likes to work on besides.

The 68 convertible sounds interesting but restoring a 98 convertible is not for the light of heart. There are no sheet metal or most everything else aftermarket parts made of a 98 and especially a convertible. The beginning cost doesn't mean much if you can't find parts and rust can be a issue with old convertibles with leaky tops.

The 39 would be worth a look depending on how bad or good everything was put together. Lots of fab work hard to get parts but a cool ride if you ever finished it. What year engine and transmission was used? Makes a difference in cost of engine and transmission parts if it was first generation or a later combo. Nothing is cheap on a 70 year car.

The best advice I can come up with would be to hold off a while save your money and keep a eye out for a deal that doesn't need so much work, they are out there. You Just have to wait for one of the four D's to happen, you know the four D's. death, divorce, debt and desire that always creates a quick sale for a good price...... Just my observations from doing this for a few years. All this information is worth exactly what you paid for it and probably worth less...... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; August 16th, 2018 at 10:54 AM.
Tedd Thompson is online now  
Old August 16th, 2018, 11:19 AM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson View Post
All of them come with issues that are expensive to over come. The 57 needs a engine that is hard to source and has a transmission that will only bolt up to a first generation Old's engine.

The 61 needs expensive interior, has a transmission that was problematic from the get go and no one likes to work on besides.

The 68 convertible sounds interesting but restoring a 98 convertible is not for the light of heart. There are no sheet metal or most everything else aftermarket parts made of a 98 and especially a convertible. The beginning cost doesn't mean much if you can't find parts and rust can be a issue with old convertibles with leaky tops.

The 39 would be worth a look depending on how bad or good everything was put together. Lots of fab work hard to get parts but a cool ride if you ever finished it. What year engine and transmission was used? Makes a difference in cost of engine and transmission parts if it was first generation or a later combo. Nothing is cheap on a 70 year car.

The best advice I can come up with would be to hold off a while save your money and keep a eye out for a deal that doesn't need so much work, they are out there. You Just have to wait for one of the four D's to happen, you know the four D's. death, divorce, debt and desire that always creates a quick sale for a good price...... Just my observations from doing this for a few years. All this information is worth exactly what you paid for it and probably worth less...... Tedd
For got to mention the electra is a 66.
super solid advice Tedd hope you have a greatday
RocketRonnie is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
oldsmobilty
The Newbie Forum
6
September 27th, 2012 04:26 PM
sixty9olds
General Discussion
1
June 14th, 2011 06:43 PM
1969goatman
Parts For Sale
0
August 30th, 2010 07:44 PM
DJMatthews
Chassis/Body/Frame
3
December 5th, 2006 01:28 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 57 frame ?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.