Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

56 Olds: What am I to do with the GAP?

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM

56 Olds: What am I to do with the GAP?

Looking at my 56 Olds Super 88 convertible, there is a gap between the fender and the area under the windshield. (I have no idea what the right word is for that part of the car, sorry.)
Pls see the white arrow on the photo attached.

The gap is like 3 millimeters, which should translate into 0,11811 inch.
Now, is that gap normal?
If not, is there a welting (hope this word is correct) or piping or some kind of a gasket in there normally?
Is there a rubber in in it?
This gap is on both sides of the car.
Thanks for your help.
The_German
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TheGAP.jpg (45.1 KB, 47 views)
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM

I know what you mean regarding gaps on these old cars, but unfortunately they pretty much came that way. The important thing to me about them is are they equal symmetrically (e.g., same width gap on both sides of the vehicle). Have you seen other cars like yours with the same gaps?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM

I think that is pretty normal on a mid fifties car,with mine it's the doors that are a poor fit......Tedd
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM

Both sides are the same!
The chances to find a second Oldsmobile here in Germany are next to zero, so no chance to compare!!
Thanks to you guys!
Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:28 PM

Well i just happen to have been out putting my fenders on tonight,Yea the gaps are wierd.There are supposed to be square rubber anti-squeaks in the gap at the bolt that also seals the hole in the cowl(the piece under the windshield).I made new ones from a 3m rubber squeege used for spreading spot putty and wetsanding etc.I did give up before i got too ticked though ive been up since 4am and had enough for one day.I dont like the look of the black rubber in the crack but what else could you do.I will post a few pics tomorrow if you want to see what i am talking about.Glen
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by golds56
Well i just happen to have been out putting my fenders on tonight,Yea the gaps are wierd.There are supposed to be square rubber anti-squeaks in the gap at the bolt that also seals the hole in the cowl(the piece under the windshield).I made new ones from a 3m rubber squeege used for spreading spot putty and wetsanding etc.I did give up before i got too ticked though ive been up since 4am and had enough for one day.I dont like the look of the black rubber in the crack but what else could you do.I will post a few pics tomorrow if you want to see what i am talking about.Glen
I would really appreciate ANY help on this!!
Thanks so much!
The_German
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM

I may be wrong here, but your car looks perfectly fine to me. It would be good to see a few more photos looking directly down onto that crack. There are plenty of 56 Olds around my part of the world (at car shows) and I will look and find one (hopefully stock) to compare. I'll let you know, but it may take awhile - some rain here right now.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
I know what you mean regarding gaps on these old cars, but unfortunately they pretty much came that way. The important thing to me about them is are they equal symmetrically (e.g., same width gap on both sides of the vehicle). Have you seen other cars like yours with the same gaps?
I've got to agree with Dan, as fit and finish was not a concern like the Manufacturers do to-day. I think once you see the other '56 Oldsmobiles that Dan can get some Pictures of you'll see that what you have is quite normal.
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM

heres my 6 hrs of adjusting

Hope this helps,some of the bolts were a b*^&h to get to and still hold everything in place.The manual is right about getting the door gap first before putting in any other fender bolts.I first got the heigth and gap to the door with the bottom bolts by putting two 1/8" rubber shims on the center stud before putting fender on for the umptenth time,then the top sat a bit high so tighten the top bolt with two 1/8" rubber shims and it pulled it down.If i change it any other way the gaps are terrible,I am kinda fussy and i can live with how they look now.Hope this helps,heres the pics .
Attached Images
olds bodylines 001.jpg (41.1 KB, 13 views)
olds bodylines 003.JPG (146.9 KB, 14 views)
olds bodylines 005.JPG (148.9 KB, 13 views)
olds bodylines 006.JPG (105.2 KB, 14 views)
olds bodylines 007.JPG (157.8 KB, 16 views)
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Golds56, you made my day!
The gap on my car is about the same as on your car, so this seems to be the normal way for these cars!

Thanks again!
The_German