Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 Olds steering gear conversion

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2017, 05:07 PM

Question 55 Olds steering gear conversion

Has anyone done a steering gear conversion in a 55 or know some one who has. I am looking to replace my steering sector with a later model unit which is smaller.
Old June 17th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Administrator

I moved your thread to the Vintage Olds section. Great group of guys.
Old June 17th, 2017, 06:59 PM

Are we talking steering box or the selector? Some are using the Jeep box but nothing I know about is a direct plug and play, some fabrication will be necessary. Have you thought of having your old box rebuilt or do you need extra room for a dual exhaust setup?..... Tedd
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Are we talking steering box or the selector? Some are using the Jeep box but nothing I know about is a direct plug and play, some fabrication will be necessary. Have you thought of having your old box rebuilt or do you need extra room for a dual exhaust setup?..... Tedd
I need to gain extra room, I don't mind doing some fab work. I read an article a while back where a mid 70's mid-size box was used and only one mounting hole had to be redrilled and sleeved but can't find the article.
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:16 AM

X2 on Tedds mention of the Jeep steering box being a very popular swap into many different autos. You can probably find information about this swap on the "HAMB" forum.
I've seen the Jeep steering boxes in many street rods and smaller cars and trucks.
Larry
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:00 AM

GM had a steering unit known as Saginaw 605 that came in many smaller GM cars. A site called (www.carnut.com ) has a complete article with step by step photos of installing this unit into Tri Five Chevrolets. Take a look and I think this would be very similar to what you are trying to achieve. Best of luck, Larry
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
GM had a steering unit known as Saginaw 605 that came in many smaller GM cars. A site called (www.carnut.com ) has a complete article with step by step photos of installing this unit into Tri Five Chevrolets. Take a look and I think this would be very similar to what you are trying to achieve. Best of luck, Larry
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The Grand Cherokee box is a popular swap into A body Cutlasses to get a quicker ratio. I seem to remember somebody swapping a Cutlass box into a mid fifties Olds with quite a bit of fabrication. If the Jeep box would swap into a Cutlass it should be adaptable to your 55 maybe. The 605 box is a popular swap to Tri 5 Chevies as Larry mentioned.
Old June 18th, 2017, 08:17 AM

For what it's worth my box is original and I have true duels, not easy but doable. Or could it be that you are dropping a bigger engine in that hole?... Tedd
Old June 18th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If it is the exhaust, as Tedd mentions, it can be done. With a kit from Waldron Exhaust, it is pretty easy. The pipes do fit very closely around the stock power steering. I wrapped that part of the pipe in header wrap. The pipes were a good fit and no bending was required. If you want it, here is a link to Waldron.

http://www.waldronexhaust.com/
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:25 AM

Smile Steering sector conversion to Rack and Pinion

In searching for the sector conversion I have found that the 55 OLDS can be converted to rack and pinion for around $500.00 and will be a neater job and free up major engine space. I will post photo's and a complete parts list once I am done with the conversion. The parts cost is with all new and rebuilt parts, if you can find the complete rack out of a 1989 to 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier or similar GM car it would be a lot less cost. will post more later.