Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

This '55 had an unexpected second life...

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2021, 07:33 AM

This '55 had an unexpected second life...

I found these pictures on a French Olds Forum.
I’m guessing that Tte car is used to advertise a garage in southern France.
It seem to be a 4 door hardtop… towing car.

Old August 3rd, 2021, 08:59 AM

Interesting but what a shame. I don't know where one would start on a restoration or if at all. Looks mostly like a parts car....... Tedd
Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:48 AM
72Cutlass S

Or just go with the theme and make it into an Olds based Tow Mater.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 04:46 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Many years ago that was just an old car that had no real value at that time that somebody just chopped up . About the only value it has is artwork in front of a wrecking yard if there are any left.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 05:43 PM

You guys are right, it's best that it spends the rest of it's time as a lawn ornament. Probably more impressive in France as that than it would be with it's few good remaining parts on someone else's ride.... We can't save them all...Tedd
Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gs72
Or just go with the theme and make it into an Olds based Tow Mater.
Amen. I personally love the effort put in. Hate on it but it was built to work. Imagine if it could tell you. May have been towing a bad *** race car.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Many years ago that was just an old car that had no real value at that time that somebody just chopped up . About the only value it has is artwork in front of a wrecking yard if there are any left.
I think that car is worth every dime to rebuild. You don't have to get stupid perfect on the rebuild. Build it back to what it was built for

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
You guys are right, it's best that it spends the rest of it's time as a lawn ornament. Probably more impressive in France as that than it would be with it's few good remaining parts on someone else's ride.... We can't save them all...Tedd
Well worth saving. Makes me wonder how it got there and why it was cut up. Don't see that kind of American car hacked up over there. That car was built to get something done.
Old August 4th, 2021, 08:13 AM

As Glenn said at one point the car was valueless.
Things are when exported new to France, these cars were "exotic cars", therefore expensive. Being reserved for the most wealthy, GM and the others, loaded the cars with options.
IE: It's impossible to find a 68 / 69 base Chevrolet Camaro. Always RS or SS, I had a '67 RS/SS and a '69 SS
Cars in the 50s, were always equipped with power windows, power seat, steering, brakes etc...
Then came 72 and its crisis. All those American cars became obsoletes... they had to go.
What's funny is that on a movie screen, crash of a Cadillac look much better than a crash of a Renault....
Lots of French movies contributed to the destruction of those cars. No one wanted them, to expensive to maintain, too much gas mileage, too big!

Back in my youth, (early 70s) I remember seeing a lot of D-Day military vehicles transformed in towing cars (dodge WC series), but not much a sedan as this Oldsmobile.

We can't save them all... as Tedd said