Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

50 Olds

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2017, 08:43 PM

50 Olds

I'm starting the redo of the interior on my 50 coupe.
I'm looking for the pull straps to assist you out of the back seat.
I'm up for very good ones to just cores as to have new ones made.
and the retainers.

Also looking for the rubber tubes that connect the fresh air vent tubes in the engine compartment. Or info as to were to get a pair, or suggestions as to what you used.

Gene
Old April 11th, 2017, 08:47 AM

Here is where it pays to be old: That device is actually called a lap robe cord or hanger. It was developed in the very early days of automobiles when they had poor or no heat in the back seat. The cord was used to hang a lap robe from when the robe was not being used by passengers to keep warm in cold weather. I think they disappeared in about the late 50s or early 60s.

Using it as an assist to get out of the back seat could cause it to break if very much force was put on it.

You might try old car wrecking yards. There is one in Albert Lea Minnesota that seems to have some older Oldsmobiles and might have the mountings for the cord. I would think a good auto upholstery shop could make up the cord itself.

I tried a short search on ebay but found only lap robes, no car parts. Persistence pays off in searching for this stuff.

Jerry
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:09 PM

I may be mistaken but I think he is looking for the strap at head level not the robe rope mounted on the front seat backs.Could be wrong on this.... Tedd
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I may be mistaken but I think he is looking for the strap at head level not the robe rope mounted on the front seat backs.Could be wrong on this.... Tedd

You are likely correct. And sometimes it doesn't pay to be old....
Jerry
Old April 11th, 2017, 08:08 PM

Ted, you are correct.
I call it a pull strap. It screws to the "B" pillar. It is about 2 inch wide and maybe 8 or 9 inch long in the shape of a loop. From what I remember it comes to a sorta triangle shape at the top and two screws hold it to the "B" pillar with a chrome retainer.
My car is a 2 dr coupe, I'm thinking maybe a sedan also. Not to sure about a 4 dr. I say 49/50/51.

Keep your eye out, please.

Gene
Old April 13th, 2017, 07:36 PM

It's been to many years sense I was around the inside of a 50 Old's but on my 55 The vent pipes were made of spring wound rotted paper tubing, I replaced them with modern ( 4inch I think) plastic vent tubing from Napa. It came off the shelf and wasn't ordered special .... Tedd
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:16 PM

Thanks Ted. I will give that a try. I will get some measurements and check it out.

Gene
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:40 PM

Gene, are you wanting the car to look original? The reason I ask is the 1978 Toronado parts car I have has pull straps to help you get out of the back seat. Maybe a newer vintage car will be easier to locate the pull straps in if you don't mind the appearance being different.

John
Old April 14th, 2017, 04:20 PM

I would give Ciadella Interiors a call on the pull straps ,they do make them for early Ford 2 door models. Just looked, Ciadella
Does make them for '55 Chevy 2 Dr..in material to match wind lace or will cover in vinyl, $59 a pair . Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (31.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; April 14th, 2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Add
Old April 14th, 2017, 05:57 PM

Pull Straps

Just checked. Ciadella makes them for '55 Chevrolet 2 Dr. They will cover them to match wind lace or cover them in vinyl,your choice, for $59! Sorry ,for double posting,I checked and the image had
Apparantly not posted ,when I looked. Well I found them anyway.
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (31.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; April 14th, 2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Apology