Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

324 help

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2020, 09:19 PM

324 help

Hey guys I need some direction/advise. I have a 54 olds 98 this is my first real project car. I took the valve covers off today to replace the gaskets (they've been leaking) and I found a ton crud under them. The driver side was worse than the passenger side. Whats the best way to clean all that out and could that have caused any damage? I apologize for this being a stupid question. Everyone's gotta learn at some point. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old August 31st, 2020, 04:57 AM

The fast response, is: you 'can' clean out the engine, but the real question is: do you really want to?
I've cleaned up old engines by draining the oil and using combinations of fresh oil, and transmission fluid, or diesel fuel. Running the engine at idle for 15-20 minutes will circulate the new oil and begin removing the sludge. The problem arises, as the sludge drains back down to the oil pan, it can clog up the pick up screen. Just draining it doesn't get it all out. You really want to drop the pan, and clean it well. But with today's hi-detergent oil, it will continue to clean the engine and this problem will reoccur. You can do it, but you have to keep a close eye on it, and perhaps drop the pan as many times as necessary, though sometimes just short oil change intervals will do the trick.
I've heard others having done this, and said that cleaning out the oil ruined the engine. I'm sure this might happen, but it could also be they never did it right, or didn't keep an eye on the sludge build up in the pan.
Old August 31st, 2020, 05:54 AM

Chop is right.. This is the way engines used to look when taken apart. The oil didn't clean the engine the way the new oils do. Way back in the 50's or so they came out with detergent oil. Before that it was all non-detergent. All engines looked like that when opened up. My Dad used to talk about when someone would change from non detergent oil to the new detergent it would loosen up the gunk from the rings and cause the seal to go away and the car would then burn oil and smoke. But even after the detergent oils came out they weren't as clean as the new engines with new oils. I guess if it were my car I would get a old shop vac and start scrapping and wire brushing out the crud,sucking it into the vac as you go, trying not to let chunks go down into the engine. Depending on how hard it is to remove oil pan and do the same in there, or if too difficult just do under valve covers, though entire engine probably looks like that including under intake manifold.... Just depends on how far you want to go. Did engine run nice and quiet before or lots of lifter clatter?? Anyway after cleaning what you want, put in new modern oil and filter and change it again in 1000 miles or so. It might be just fine. Let us know how it goes!!
Old August 31st, 2020, 07:10 AM

I have seen way worse accumulations. I would just use modern oil and filters. If you clean it out too much,you'll have smoking and perhaps a loss of power. Drive and enjoy.
Old August 31st, 2020, 07:32 AM

Doesn't look all that bad, I've seen much worse but running it with a quart of ATF and fill the rest with what ever you plan on using, no high RPM running has worked in these cars for years. Just taking the pan off is a major hassle on a Xed frame Oldsmobile and I wouldn't do it unless for some reason you just have to. Jacking the engine up and removing the motor mounts is required to get the pan to clear the X frame and get it out. It is a good time to inspect the motor/ transmission mounts while you are there though.... Lost in the fifties ..Tedd
Old August 31st, 2020, 09:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I wouldn't worry as much about the sludge buildup as I would about the rocker arms oiling. Are you getting any noise from the rockers. These old engines were pretty notorious for that. I would run the engine with the valve covers off and see if all the rockers are oiling. I remember about the non-detergent oil when I worked at a Phillips 66 station in high school back in 1963. The owner told me to be sure not to put high detergent oil in an old car.
Old August 31st, 2020, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the help guys! hearing that its not that bad makes me feel a lit better about it. The motor was running ok before I pulled the valve covers off. There was a very small amount ticking but nothing crazy. I started yesterday doing a cooling system flush and replacing the radiator hoses. Then I decided to clean up the valve covers/replace the gaskets and thats when I found that sludge. Redoldsman ill run the engine with the valve covers off and check. This has been a fun project and its a great way to fill my time right now. Thanks again for the help!
Old August 31st, 2020, 07:12 PM

Don't get to worried if there is only a small amount of oil flowing through the rockers and it may take it's time getting up there as these older Oldsmobiles are slow getting primed. If you are used to SBC motors this can be a little alarming the first time you see it....Tedd
Old August 31st, 2020, 07:25 PM

Sometimes if you "fix something that ain't broke", can stir up problems you never had before.
Old November 24th, 2020, 08:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am curious how you are doing with this car. I just happened to see this thread and thought I would askl.
Old January 31st, 2021, 09:23 PM

Hey Red thanks for checking in. The car has unfortunately sat for the past couple months. I did take it out for a spin several weeks ago just around the block. I've been real busy with work but hopefully after around March I'll be able to keep messing with it. I have redone the cooling system and cleaned up the valve covers. but I think the motor needs to be rebuilt I have a ton of smoke coming out the oil breather tube. I've got some quotes from local shops and everything has been around 7 grand. I would do it myself I just don't have the space or knowledge. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old February 1st, 2021, 05:47 AM

Rebuilding an antique engine is always costly. The Olds is a tough engine, my 55's took 2-3 times as long to bore out, as a modern engine, my machinist said. But I put another 160K miles on it afterward, not a lick of trouble! If you can't find a local builder, Ross Racing engines are Olds experts.
Old February 18th, 2021, 07:54 AM

...I just pulled Sump pan
is a PIA...and several hours more then i expected
but didnt lift motor...just pull starter; cross-over pipe; lower tie-rod
..and ...drain sump 1st !
my oil pump & strainer were caked with petrified oil sludge