Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1957 Super 88 key codes

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2017, 07:43 PM

1957 Super 88 key codes

I now have the door trim on. Loosen up the top bolts on the vent window and with a gentle pry there is enough room for the molding to drop in with out cutting out the screw countersunk area. My next job is to get keys made. I removed the trunk cly and found no numbers on it as later cars have. There is a number on the rod that turns the latch. Is this the key code? I have a ignition key but it will not work the doors. Are there numbers on the door locks before I go to the trouble to pull them out?

Thanks,
David
Old May 30th, 2017, 08:57 PM

You might take the glove box door off if it's not locked and take it in to a lock shop have them make a key, should be the same key but easier to take off..... Tedd
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by graysuper88
I now have the door trim on. Loosen up the top bolts on the vent window and with a gentle pry there is enough room for the molding to drop in with out cutting out the screw countersunk area. My next job is to get keys made. I removed the trunk cly and found no numbers on it as later cars have. There is a number on the rod that turns the latch. Is this the key code? I have a ignition key but it will not work the doors. Are there numbers on the door locks before I go to the trouble to pull them out?

Thanks,
David
There SHOULD be numbers on the door lock cylinders, but there SHOULD have been one on the trunk lock as well. Possibly those cylinders have been replaced, thus no code.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but I can punch new keys from the code and also recode the door locks to match your ignition key. If you have the trunk lock cylinder out, it is also very easy to read the tumblers and make a new key from that. PM me if interested.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 08:13 PM

The trunk lock key code is on the rod that turns the latch . Took a gamble and it worked. The door lock codes are stamped on the plunger that hits the latch arm and can be read by holding the button in. Numbers where on top of the plunger. Looked at a handle off Holiday parts car I have and the code was on the bottom requiring you the remove handle to read. All easy enough. Thanks