Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1957 Oldsmobile 88 Oil Filter Base Drain Plug Gasket

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2024, 09:21 PM

1957 Oldsmobile 88 Oil Filter Base Drain Plug Gasket

Hey Everyone,
I am experiencing a pretty bad oil leak that is coming from the oil filter base drain plug. The root cause appears to be the gasket (see pic 1).
Per the parts and accessories catalog the drain plug gasket is 5572154 which is most likely an obsolete part number (see pic 2).
At first I thought I can simply make a gasket or use a similar oil pan plug gasket but doesn't appear as the bolt has some sort of hour glass shape to it (see pic 3), also my washer looks crushed and out lived its life span (see pic 4).
The last pic is a shot of the oil filter base where the bolt is screwed into the base. I did call Fusick but they said they have no clue of what I am talking about and said that's not something they sell.
My question, does anyone have any insight of what is a good replacement gasket? Any help would be appreciated.

Per the parts and accessories catalog

Part number 5572154

Drain plug bolt removed with what appears to be a brass washer.

Brass washer that I removed from the drain plug bolt

Shot of where bolt plug into oil filter base.

Old June 12th, 2024, 09:47 PM

The gasket looks like its COPPER, not brass. It does show some deformation. I doubt you can remove the gasket without destroying it, but might be possible. You could make a new gasket from a piece of copper sheet.
Try an autoparts store for something from Dorman.
This is what Rockauto shows, which is nylon.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ug+gasket,5428
Old June 13th, 2024, 05:51 AM

Copper washer/gaskets are available in many sizes. I'm sure you can find one to fit. You can also use a "sealing washer", that's aluminum, with a rubber, or viton insert for difficult to seal applications.
Old June 13th, 2024, 08:19 AM
74 2.8L Capri

I bet that if you go down to a Napa Auto parts store, show them what you have, take the bolt. They can find one that will fit. Yes, it is copper.

Also, if you can get up in there, make sure the mating surface on the housing is flat and not gouged up. Some 220 grit sand paper should do the trick.
Old June 13th, 2024, 08:07 PM

Thanks for clarifying the copper washer not brass.. and yes today I went to the parts store, found some copper crush washers that best fits. The OD was a little bigger and still leaks a little when I turn the engine over... back to the auto part store this weekend. As always appreciate your insight!
Old June 13th, 2024, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by dangulo4
Thanks for clarifying the copper washer not brass.. and yes today I went to the parts store, found some copper crush washers that best fits. The OD was a little bigger and still leaks a little when I turn the engine over... back to the auto part store this weekend. As always appreciate your insight!
Did you run a honing stone or 180 grit sand paper over the seating surface as DFitz suggested ?
Buy a couple of the flat copper washers. They might need to be annealed (softened) to seal well.
Old June 15th, 2024, 09:18 PM

Hi There, yes I used 180 as @DFitz suggested but no luck with copper washers. Been to a couple of auto parts stores and they all don't seem to carry the right size where they are a little big for the recessed bolt...
Tried a few copper washers but still leaking, will spend some time hopefully tomorrow and maybe another parts store has the right size. But ya, I'm sure once I find the right size it should square that away.
Old June 15th, 2024, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dangulo4
Hi There, yes I used 180 as @DFitz suggested but no luck with copper washers. Been to a couple of auto parts stores and they all don't seem to carry the right size where they are a little big for the recessed bolt...
Tried a few copper washers but still leaking, will spend some time hopefully tomorrow and maybe another parts store has the right size. But ya, I'm sure once I find the right size it should square that away.
Have you looked at the bolt to see if there is any scratches or nicks ? The oil can only escape between the head of the bolt and copper washer OR the housing and the copper gasket. Get 2 copper washers. I'll explain later.
Old June 16th, 2024, 07:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would probably put an o-ring on it.
Old June 16th, 2024, 06:53 PM

Okay so I’m embarrassed to say I been going down the wrong rabbit hole… turns out that the leak is coming from the bottom of the oil filter canister.

It does appear to be sitting correctly in the base. Bummer bc I just replaced the oil, will have to remove and inspect what the issue is, maybe bad oil filter gasket? Anyway happy Father’s Day all
Old June 16th, 2024, 08:27 PM

I would buy the oil filter adapter so you can put a screw on filter it'll stop the leak completely
Old June 16th, 2024, 08:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you can find an oil filter adapter for a 63 or 64 394 that uses a spin on filter, it will fit your engine. I put one on my 54 when I had it.