Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1957 olds fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2020, 10:04 AM

1957 olds fuel pump

Recently bought a 57 Olds with the J2 option. Yesterday while running it for a winter cruise as I was accelerating all of a sudden no response felt like it was out of gas and going to stall out I had just filled the tank. Luckily made it home while letting it idle in the driveway it stalled(never done that) every time I tried to start it would turn over then stall. Car has an electric fuel pump for starts but uses the stock pump afterwards for all I know might be original. Been reading up on symptoms of a bad pump and seems to fit my situation. Before I buy a new/rebuilt pump anyone experience a similar issue.
thanks
paul
Old February 23rd, 2020, 12:53 PM

Yep, Mines in the shop as we type for a new(rebuilt) pump. I suspected the old one was on its last legs last summer so I had Fusick rebuild my spare They did the last one about 15 years ago and 45 thousand miles.

If it will not run at all you can put a pressure test the pump or take it apart at the carb and turn it over with the coil wire off but first look to see if any of your filters are dirty, carb, fuel pump and any after market filter you may have added could be that you have gotten a load of water somewhere..... Tedd
Old February 23rd, 2020, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Yep, Mines in the shop as we type for a new(rebuilt) pump. I suspected the old one was on its last legs last summer so I had Fusick rebuild my spare They did the last one about 15 years ago and 45 thousand miles.

If it will not run at all you can put a pressure test the pump or take it apart at the carb and turn it over with the coil wire off but first look to see if any of your filters are dirty, carb, fuel pump and any after market filter you may have added could be that you have gotten a load of water somewhere..... Tedd
Thanks Ted was yours the type with the glass bowl. I’m trying to see but I think mine is the one without it. When I recently replaced the harmonic stabilizer it was for a 58 I understand that late in the 57 model year some of the components were 58. Fusick has the ones without the glass bowl the ones with they want yours first which would be a problem.
Old February 23rd, 2020, 01:42 PM

Yes mine was one with a glass bowl and on my 55. I think 57 and 58 pump would be the same interchange and work the same both are 371 engines. I'm not sure why one would have a glass bowl and the other not.
I just reread my first post and I left out why you undo the gas line at the carb. If you attach a empty Coke bottle to the gas line and crank the engine over for about 15 seconds you should fill that bottle about 3/4 full if the pump is working, less and the valve on the pump is probably giving it up or about to..... Tedd
Old February 23rd, 2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Yes mine was one with a glass bowl and on my 55. I think 57 and 58 pump would be the same interchange and work the same both are 371 engines. I'm not sure why one would have a glass bowl and the other not.
I just reread my first post and I left out why you undo the gas line at the carb. If you attach a empty Coke bottle to the gas line and crank the engine over for about 15 seconds you should fill that bottle about 3/4 full if the pump is working, less and the valve on the pump is probably giving it up or about to..... Tedd
thanks again Tedd just to be sure you don’t think there’s any reason why a fuel pump without a bowl won’t work on a car that had a bowl. From what I can see I’m pretty sure mine doesn’t have a bowl and the only one I can get without sending mine first is one without so that’s the one I’m going to order.
Old February 23rd, 2020, 06:22 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by pperry
thanks again Tedd just to be sure you don’t think there’s any reason why a fuel pump without a bowl won’t work on a car that had a bowl. From what I can see I’m pretty sure mine doesn’t have a bowl and the only one I can get without sending mine first is one without so that’s the one I’m going to order.
According to the parts book 55 thru early 57s used a pump with a bowl , as well as '58s without A/C .
Late '57 s and '58s with A/C used a pump without the bowl .

The Hollander says that either type can be interchanged by switching the lines and the fuel strainer .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 23rd, 2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old February 24th, 2020, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
According to the parts book 55 thru early 57s used a pump with a bowl , as well as '58s without A/C .
Late '57 s and '58s with A/C used a pump without the bowl .

The Hollander says that either type can be interchanged by switching the lines and the fuel strainer .

Old February 24th, 2020, 10:17 AM

Thanks Charlie that helps