Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1949 Olds 303 external water bypass

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2021, 01:37 PM

1949 Olds 303 external water bypass

I apologize for the multiple posts I’ve made on variations of the same project. A month ago I started a project to remove the timing chain cover on my 1949 Olds 88 with the 303V8. It had a front main seal leak at the harmonic balancer. The repair should have been easy enough, but I’ve had trouble removing parts and locating the right replacements. On disassembly I broke the external water bypass fitting. I’ve been told it’s called a “street L” fitting. I managed to track down what I thought was the right part only to find today that it isn’t. Evidently the fitting I need is 11/16-18 female x 1/4” male, NOT 3/8x1/4. Can anyone confirm? Got one to sell? I've created a post on the parts wanted section but figured I'd post here since many of you have been helping in this process. I’m going crazy trying to finish this project.

Last edited by maineolds; January 21st, 2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old January 21st, 2021, 02:30 PM
72 Olds CS

couldnt you just make a new pipe w the correct flared fittings to fir the adapter or does the adapter not fir the block ?
Old January 21st, 2021, 02:51 PM

That may be what I have to do. Its something I'm looking into. I don't want to risk damage to the other end so I'd end up needing 3/8 on one side of the pipe and 11/16 on the other. I'm hoping to avoid all that and keep it original. This hunt has been crazy. All my fault for breaking the one part I cant seem to find.
Old January 21st, 2021, 05:11 PM
72 Olds CS

sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do w these old cars.

Is it as simple as cutting the flare off the exisiting pipe removing one fitting and putting the correct fitting on and reflareing the pipe?

I cant flare but im sure a local mechanic could or if you have a good autoparts store nearby someone there can.
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the tip. I THINK I just sent him a PM. Never done that before.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 10:08 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by maineolds
Thanks for the tip. I THINK I just sent him a PM. Never done that before.
Another place to look to make a pipe would be an aircraft shop that can make hydraulic lines. They work these kinds of flare fittings all the time. I'm sure you've checked McMaster-Carr?
Old January 22nd, 2021, 10:19 AM

Yes, I’ve checked with McMaster-Carr. No luck. I’m still hoping to find an original someone is willing to sell. Till then I’m making a patch work solution. I’ll make my own tube, this time in 3/8 OD not 7/16 which is super hard to find. I’ll use a 5/8-18 SAE 45 degree male inverted flare nut on one end and a 11/16-18 SAE 45 degree male inverted flare nut on the other. Both designed for 3/8” tube. I’ll use copper nickel tubing because it’s easy to bend and double flare the ends. That should allow me to have one end of my home made pipe connect to the original undamaged end on the intake manifold and the other end connect to the Hillman replacement that goes into the timing chain cover.
it’s not ideal since the tube flow will be restricted, but it should allow me to get it off the lift!
of anyone knows where I can get the OEM part, I’d be incredibly greatful. Heck, I’d even pay a reward!
Old January 23rd, 2021, 08:19 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by maineolds
Yes, I’ve checked with McMaster-Carr. No luck. I’m still hoping to find an original someone is willing to sell. Till then I’m making a patch work solution. I’ll make my own tube, this time in 3/8 OD not 7/16 which is super hard to find. I’ll use a 5/8-18 SAE 45 degree male inverted flare nut on one end and a 11/16-18 SAE 45 degree male inverted flare nut on the other. Both designed for 3/8” tube. I’ll use copper nickel tubing because it’s easy to bend and double flare the ends. That should allow me to have one end of my home made pipe connect to the original undamaged end on the intake manifold and the other end connect to the Hillman replacement that goes into the timing chain cover.
it’s not ideal since the tube flow will be restricted, but it should allow me to get it off the lift!
of anyone knows where I can get the OEM part, I’d be incredibly greatful. Heck, I’d even pay a reward!
Another place to look is Amazon. I know. It's really difficult to search those kinds of fittings. Their search engine doesn't handle it well. Particularly if your description is off even just a little. Lots of small shops make unusual fittings and offer them for sale there. Once you get close to what you are looking for, scroll down to the section that has similar items. I've found a few obscure fittings, and be prepared to wait a while. Another thing to consider is going to a job shop and just seeing if they can make one for you, or a couple since once they have the job set up, easy to do.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 10:03 AM

Try Pegasus auto racing supplies, they claim to have fittings in stock not available elsewhere