Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 Oldsmobile suspension?

Old March 7th, 2019, 07:33 PM

1946 Oldsmobile suspension?

What type of front and rear suspension does a series 60 club coupe have under it?
Old March 8th, 2019, 05:46 AM

I imagine it's short, long arm suspension up front and a solid rear axle in the rear with trailing arms and leaf or coil springs. I suppose it might have king pins up front.

Someone will come along and know for sure.
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:30 AM

Your Front End is:

Your Front End is the King Pins set, Upper & Lower Outer Pin Kits in the Upper & Lower Control Arms at the front end of the arms, Upper & Lower Control Arm shafts with Metal Bushings at the back end of the Upper & Lower Control Arms...
For steering, there is a "tubular" center link and inner tie rods assembly, and then tie rod sleeves, and outer tie rods that go to the wheel.
Then for the Stabilizer bar, there are Stabilizer Links & Sway Bar Frame Bushings.

That is everything for your front end -- the suspension, steering, & the rest....
I have everything in stock Brand New U.S.A. made except the 1 item that would have to be rebuilt only, if it shows too much wear....

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.......New York......
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
Your Front End is the King Pins set, Upper & Lower Outer Pin Kits in the Upper & Lower Control Arms at the front end of the arms, Upper & Lower Control Arm shafts with Metal Bushings at the back end of the Upper & Lower Control Arms...
For steering, there is a "tubular" center link and inner tie rods assembly, and then tie rod sleeves, and outer tie rods that go to the wheel.
Then for the Stabilizer bar, there are Stabilizer Links & Sway Bar Frame Bushings.

That is everything for your front end -- the suspension, steering, & the rest....
I have everything in stock Brand New U.S.A. made except the 1 item that would have to be rebuilt only, if it shows too much wear....

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.......New York......
What about the rear, suspension? I'm looking at acquiring one but I want it lowered. How hard would that be to achieve with a stock suspension
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975
What about the rear, suspension? I'm looking at acquiring one but I want it lowered. How hard would that be to achieve with a stock suspension
There is no actual "rear suspension" -- in the rear, the car is "lifted" by Rear Leaf Springs, and its accompanying shackles and bolts...
There are no actual moving parts....

All my parts are stock, are geared toward stock, and that's all the conventional world of parts -- forever -- solely catered to...
If you want it "lowered" --- leave a sagging rear end in there -- and don't replace them....
As far as the front goes; there are outfits out there that will cut your springs -- and re-fit them....

To tell you the truth (because that's all I know) I WOULD NOT do that because cars were not designed to be driven that way -- and you compromise its strength.....
That being said, it is a free country, and you are permitted to do whatever you like.....
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
There is no actual "rear suspension" -- in the rear, the car is "lifted" by Rear Leaf Springs, and its accompanying shackles and bolts...
There are no actual moving parts....

All my parts are stock, are geared toward stock, and that's all the conventional world of parts -- forever -- solely catered to...
If you want it "lowered" --- leave a sagging rear end in there -- and don't replace them....
As far as the front goes; there are outfits out there that will cut your springs -- and re-fit them....

To tell you the truth (because that's all I know) I WOULD NOT do that because cars were not designed to be driven that way -- and you compromise its strength.....
That being said, it is a free country, and you are permitted to do whatever you like.....
​​​​​​Does the rear end sit on top of the leafs? If so, I could just install lowering blocks.
Old March 9th, 2019, 05:06 AM

Actually, the rear end is not a leaf spring design. It is a coil spring set up with long radius arms. This pic is from a 1940(the only pic I could find), but is basically the same as a 1946.

Old March 9th, 2019, 07:22 PM

Rear End

If Sporty45 has the car, and saw what he has back there -- then there's your answer...
Rear End is not really "my department" -- my coil spring book shows nothing -- and 98 % of the cars back then used rear leaf springs.....
So that "is what it is" and I don't have that car to be able to look at it...
My department is Front End --- all parts right by part #....
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:46 PM

You are correct, Oldsmobiles of this era are coil spring rear suspension.
The rear suspension can be lowered by using aftermarket coils. I used 3 inch lowering coils on the rear of the convertible but would recommend 2 inch lowering as I ran into an issue of not being able to find rear shocks that had compatible travel with the lowering coil springs travel. I was grounding out shock travel and ruined one set of rear shocks. I wound up fabricating lower rear shock mounts that allowed a longer travel shock to be used. I could still get the car on a hoist but it was very close to scraping the lower rear shock mounts after all the work was done. Ride was OK but not as good as stock. You give up something to get the look you want.

Google to find the lowering rear coil springs. I didn't keep the receipt so can't give you a company, but was able to source my rear coils from a company in California. Since the coils are a decreasing radius at their ends don't try cutting your stock coil springs to drop ride height.
Jerry
Old August 7th, 2020, 02:50 PM

Smile

Moog 5415 rear coil spring for 74 Malibu heavy duty lowered the rear of my 41 Model 76 2 inches. Fit perfectly.