Finding a replacement selector shaft and valve body bolts for a TH400

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:02 PM

Finding a replacement selector shaft and valve body bolts for a TH400

I have a 1967 Delmont 88 with a TH400. Currently I'm having trouble finding a new selector shaft and valve body bolts.

One of the bolts on the valve body broke while torquing it. You would think that it would be easy finding a set of replacement bolts but so far that has not been the case. If push comes to shove I'll get a grade 5 bolt the proper length and use a flat washer; however, since this bolt broke pretty easily I will also replace the others and would really like a new set.

The selector shaft threads broke off while tightening. I drilled the shaft (which seemed really soft since it drilled like wood--probably the reason it broke) and tapped it. It works but since I'll be rebuilding the trans I would like to replace this. Same deal... can't find a new selector shaft.

Any suggestions to beef up the intermediate sprag?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:40 PM

Go t your nearest transmission shop and ask to look thru a TransStar catalog, you can probably find one there. If not, call Teal Automotive at (1800)722-0215. Ask for Cheryl, most likely the will have one, along with the valve body bolts. It would probably be cheaper to get the proper length bolts at a haedware store. As for the upgraded sprag, assuming that is a 67 trans your building it should have the early drum that will accept the 34 element sprag. Teal will also have those, they were used in the 4L80E trans, and are easy to find new.
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the leads. I can't believe that this stuff isn't easier to get. This will be the second trans rebuild--tore out the intermediate clutch I suspect on the first rebuild (trans slips in second). It's hard to believe the torque that a BB Olds generates and the stock parts don't seem to be able to handle it. Also, I used to have the switch-pitch convertor connected as it was for stock where the high stall and passing gear kicked in at full throttle. This was a recipe for disaster with a modified 455 and all that torque. Oh yeah, and smoking the tires through all three gears with around 3.00:1 gears. Damn fifty-some year old kids....