Yolk stuck on TH350

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2017, 09:53 PM

Yoke stuck on TH350

I swapped a th350 for the junkaway a few hundred miles ago.

I tried taking the driveshaft off and it wouldnt budge short of me beating on it with a brass hammer.

I have not examined the splines, but has anyone else had this happen? I have not.

Last edited by VinMichael; November 28th, 2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old November 28th, 2017, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by VinMichael
I swapped a th350 for the junkaway a few hundred miles ago.

I tried taking the driveshaft off and it wouldnt budge short of me beating on it with a brass hammer.

I have not examined the threads, but has anyone else had this happen? I have not.
Are you talking about the SPLINES jamming? If so you didn't index the driveshaft yoke properly when you installed it or you used the wrong yoke

Since that spline is supposed to move freely when the suspension travels up and down I'd think your u-joints must be taking a beating too

Is the driveshaft too long so the yoke is bottoming out in the tranny? (I still don't think that causes it to jam though)

Last edited by allyolds68; November 28th, 2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yeah, egg yolks CAN get pretty sticky when they dry up...

I've had this problem when the tailshaft bushing went bad and the driveshaft YOKE galled up inside the bushing.
Old November 28th, 2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Are you talking about the SPLINES jamming? If so you didn't index the driveshaft yoke properly when you installed it or you used the wrong yoke

Since that spline is supposed to move freely when the suspension travels up and down I'd think your u-joints must be taking a beating too

Is the driveshaft too long so the yoke is bottoming out in the tranny? (I still don't think that causes it to jam though)
Yes sorry I meant splines

I didn’t know it was supposed to be indexed into the tailhousing a certain way.

I thought the th350 is the same length as the 2 speed so I didnt questions the length.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, egg yolks CAN get pretty sticky when they dry up...

I've had this problem when the tailshaft bushing went bad and the driveshaft YOKE galled up inside the bushing.
That would suck. Why would this bushing go bad? I replaced all the bushings previously
Old November 28th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

I thought the th350 is the same length as the 2 speed so I didnt questions the length.
They are and the driveshafts are the same.

That would suck. Why would this bushing go bad? I replaced all the bushings previously
Roughness or wear on the OD of the yoke is the usual problem.
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:43 AM

I didn’t know it was supposed to be indexed into the tailhousing a certain way.
I don't know about the Jet-a-way or TH350 but when I installed my yoke in the Muncie there was one flat spot on the splined tailshaft and if the corresponding spot in the yoke didn't line up with it the yoke wouldn't go on. (Although it probably would have if I beat it on with a hammer but then I never could have gotten it off )
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

I don't know about the Jet-a-way or TH350 but when I installed my yoke in the Muncie there was one flat spot on the splined tailshaft and if the corresponding spot in the yoke didn't line up with it the yoke wouldn't go on. (Although it probably would have if I beat it on with a hammer but then I never could have gotten it off )
This has never been an issue on automatics.
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This has never been an issue on automatics.
I don't know why but my yoke only easily slid into place in one location. I thought the Muncies used the same yoke as either the TH350 or TH400
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

I don't know why but my yoke only easily slid into place in one location. I thought the Muncies used the same yoke as either the TH350 or TH400
P/N 5695105 is the yoke for all 64-up JT, TH350, TH375, and manual trans
P/N 7801551 is the yoke for all 65-up TH400
P/N 7809762 is listed only for 1971-72 four speed applications.
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Finally putting this car back together. It slides back into the transmission just fine. Everything looks perfect.

Dont know if is was hydraulic pressure holding it on or what.
Old July 14th, 2018, 01:59 PM

If you can’t remove the driveshaft, try removing the 4 bolts that hold the extension housing to the trans. If the trans slides off the yoke with it unbolted hopefully is just stuck in the bushing.

Since you got this from a junkyard with no prior history im going to share a WTF moment I had build a 400 for a buddy. He broke the case on his trans (shattered the case is more accurate!) after a long on the bumper wheelie ( this was a twin turbo LS in a 80 Malibu, mid 8 second car). He brought me the shattered remains of his trans, and a BOP case for me to cut the bellhousing off to bolt on a Ultra-Bell. I swapped all his good parts inio the case, all went well. He called me later and said he couldn’t get the driveshaft to go over the output shaft. Hmmmm?! I have a old yoke to check spline fit and to check bushing fit in the extension housing. The yoke got the extension fine, it fit the output shaft fine, but when the 2 were bolted together it would not go on. Turns out when the car slammed down on the track in addition to tearing up the case, it also slightly bent the output shaft. It was bent just enough that the yoke would not go in. Had to tear it back down for another output shaft. If your trans came from a car involved in a bad rearend collision a bent output shaft is also a possibility.