TH350C Lockup Valve Operation

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:18 PM

TH350C Lockup Valve Operation

Hi there, I desparately need some input from someone who has expert? knowledge in regard to the TH350C lockup operation. I plan on converting the TH350C in my '65 Cutlass to a TH350 and have started the ball rolling by removing all of the wiring and components that are attached to the underside of the valvebody and blocking up the relevant holes.I am seeking clarification that I am right in thinking that the port that has the electromechanical valve covering it is normally blocked off and trans fluid only flows through this port when the lockup feature is functioning.
If what I have just stated is correct I will be able to use the car normally until the transmission is removed and the input shaft.pump etc replaced.I would appreciate any helpful comments in regard to this conversion and the valving especially.Thanks in advance!
Old November 23rd, 2016, 01:24 AM

As common as th350 transmissions are, it would be far easier to simply useza 350. B&M use to offer a kit to convert the 350C to a standard open converter i havemt seen that kit in years. Im not sure what all needs to be changed or modified
Old December 7th, 2016, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
As common as th350 transmissions are, it would be far easier to simply useza 350. B&M use to offer a kit to convert the 350C to a standard open converter i havemt seen that kit in years. Im not sure what all needs to be changed or modified
Thanks for your reply but it woul cost me $1500-$2000 to buy a TH350 as good as the trans that is in the car now. It's looking like I can just cut the lockup part of the input shaft off and fit the TCI high stall TC that I have sitting in a box. Still would like an answer to my question though.
Old December 8th, 2016, 11:26 PM

How can you have 1500-2000 in a TH350?! Where are you located?
Old December 11th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have a used 2500 stall TH350C you can have for shipping cost, your call. I am pretty sure the oil feed needs blocked off as well. So few people bother with this mod since there are so many no lock up cores still out there.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
How can you have 1500-2000 in a TH350?! Where are you located?
Sorry for the delay in replying, my laptop permanently died. To answer your question I am in Matamata, New Zealand.Matamata is also known as Hobbiton if you are into Lord of the Rings.Cheers
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:28 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Sarum
Sorry for the delay in replying, my laptop permanently died. To answer your question I am in Matamata, New Zealand.Matamata is also known as Hobbiton if you are into Lord of the Rings.Cheers
Cool place to live.
Old December 25th, 2016, 01:08 PM

Living in Matamata, New Zealand

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Cool place to live.
Yes, it sure is.We shifted from Auckland to Matamata almost a year ago now.It seems like every time I watch the news these days I am thankful that we live way down here out of the way of all the never ending madness.
Old December 25th, 2016, 01:24 PM

TH350C Lockup Valve

Originally Posted by Sarum
Hi there, I desparately need some input from someone who has expert? knowledge in regard to the TH350C lockup operation. I plan on converting the TH350C in my '65 Cutlass to a TH350 and have started the ball rolling by removing all of the wiring and components that are attached to the underside of the valvebody and blocking up the relevant holes.I am seeking clarification that I am right in thinking that the port that has the electro-mechanical valve covering it is normally blocked off and trans fluid only flows through this port when the lockup feature is functioning.
If what I have just stated is correct I will be able to use the car normally until the transmission is removed and the input shaft.pump etc replaced.I would appreciate any helpful comments in regard to this conversion and the valving especially.Thanks in advance!
It looks like I am going to have to put the lockup valve electronic components back in because everytime I put the car into Drive or Low the engine stalls. You can "catch " the engine if you time it right and floor it but if I have to stop i have to throw the trans into Neutral to avoid stalling.It may well be that the electronics work in a different way from what I had thought and that the trans (still as a TH350C) needs the valve installed to act as some sort of bleed - valvebody to pan.
Old December 25th, 2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I have a used 2500 stall TH350C you can have for shipping cost, your call. I am pretty sure the oil feed needs blocked off as well. So few people bother with this mod since there are so many no lock up cores still out there.
1st go with my new laptop! Thanks so much for your kind offer but I am hoping it's not too expensive to convert my TH350C to a standard TH350. For now I am trying to figure out why the engine is now stalling when put into Drive
From addition to post
It looks like I am going to have to put the lockup valve electronic components back in because every time I put the car into Drive or Low the engine stalls. You can "catch " the engine if you time it right and floor it but if I have to stop i have to throw the trans into Neutral to avoid stalling.It may well be that the electronics work in a different way from what I had thought and that the trans (still as a TH350C) needs the valve installed to act as some sort of bleed - valvebody to pan.
As the car sat with its nose high up in the air with no pan on the trans maybe something has frozen up because there was no trans fluid.
Thought = Is it possible for fluid to drain out of the torque converter with the car jacked up high at the front for a longish period?