Yet another pilot bushing thread

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2023, 03:56 PM

Yet another pilot bushing thread

I know this one has been discussed quite a bit, but I feel like I have a bit of a unique situation. Or maybe I just feel unique today.

Either way, I have a 455 Eagle crank that I’m trying to match up to a Tremec TKX transmission. The machine shop pressed an oilite bushing into the Eagle crank (in the second “step”). I pulled the bushing, without much damage, using the bread and bolt technique. The bushing measured 1.365” after being installed and popped out. The input shaft on the Tremec measures 0.59”. I read in one of the pilot bushing threads about how the conversion bearings are junk and I don’t even know if it would fit in my application. I do like the fact that they say they are self centering. I dialed in my QuickTime bell housing, but still like the self centering idea.

Does anybody know where I can get an OD 1.365 and ID .59” pilot ball bearing? Is this the size I should be looking for or should I have a bit of clearance for the inside diameter, say .60 and should I have a little bit of an oversize situation for the outside diameter to press into the crank?

Can anybody confirm that the conversion bearings are reliable and would fit in my application?

I could reuse the oilite bushing that was pressed into the crank by the machine shop, but the ID measures 0.59 and it sticks on the transmission input shaft of the same size. Last resort, I might just have this machined out with a bit of space for oiling clearance. I kinda like the idea of finding a bearing though. Especially self centering.

Any knowledge of similar experience or tips would be appreciated.
Old March 12th, 2023, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle
I know this one has been discussed quite a bit, but I feel like I have a bit of a unique situation. Or maybe I just feel unique today.

Either way, I have a 455 Eagle crank that I’m trying to match up to a Tremec TKX transmission. The machine shop pressed an oilite bushing into the Eagle crank (in the second “step”). I pulled the bushing, without much damage, using the bread and bolt technique. The bushing measured 1.365” after being installed and popped out. The input shaft on the Tremec measures 0.59”. I read in one of the pilot bushing threads about how the conversion bearings are junk and I don’t even know if it would fit in my application. I do like the fact that they say they are self centering. I dialed in my QuickTime bell housing, but still like the self centering idea.

Does anybody know where I can get an OD 1.365 and ID .59” pilot ball bearing? Is this the size I should be looking for or should I have a bit of clearance for the inside diameter, say .60 and should I have a little bit of an oversize situation for the outside diameter to press into the crank?

Can anybody confirm that the conversion bearings are reliable and would fit in my application?

I could reuse the oilite bushing that was pressed into the crank by the machine shop, but the ID measures 0.59 and it sticks on the transmission input shaft of the same size. Last resort, I might just have this machined out with a bit of space for oiling clearance. I kinda like the idea of finding a bearing though. Especially self centering.

Any knowledge of similar experience or tips would be appreciated.
I would reuse the bronze bushing over a bearing. You can fit the bushing to the input by using emery cloth on the bushing,not the input. I have used the repo bearing with out any issues but others disagree.
Old March 13th, 2023, 04:02 PM

Thank you 66-3X2 442. That was pretty much my plan, but then I remembered I needed to check the bushing to see if it was magnetic or not. According to Tremec, they recommend not using a magnetic bushing. Something about the higher steel content tearing up the input shaft. Of course my bushing was magnetic.

Last night I did some measuring and found if I have an oilite bushing in the second step, like the one I just pulled the input shaft tip would be about halfway into the bushing. I think if I have the conversion bearing sitting in the larger first step opening, it seems like it would come pretty darn close to the splines.

Might have to find the correct size oilite, bearing or have one custom-made that doesn’t have a high metal contact.
Old March 13th, 2023, 07:41 PM

Thank you 66-3X2 442. That was pretty much my plan, but then I remembered I needed to check the bushing to see if it was magnetic or not. According to Tremec, they recommend not using a magnetic bushing. Something about the higher steel content tearing up the input shaft. Of course my bushing was magnetic.

Last night I did some measuring and found if I have an oilite bushing in the second step, like the one I just pulled the input shaft tip would be about halfway into the bushing. I think if I have the conversion bearing sitting in the larger first step opening, it seems like it would come pretty darn close to the splines.

Might have to find the correct size oilite, bearing or have one custom-made that doesn’t have a high metal contact.
I think Dorman has some bushings that might work. It seems like I have seen a bushing that fits in the convertor snout like the conversion bearing.
Old March 13th, 2023, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I think Dorman has some bushings that might work. It seems like I have seen a bushing that fits in the convertor snout like the conversion bearing.
Forgive me for sticking my nose in here.
Point of information: "Oilite" is a product name. The more common type of "Oilite" is fairly soft and the materials are compressed together. As a result, it contains pockets or channels that hold oil. There is actually a procedure for filling the Oilite bushings with oil and machining so you don't "smear" the pores closed.
Dorman bushings I have not seen or used. I doubt they are anything more exotic than common brass.

I would think that the bushing is to limit input shaft deflection and breaking the transmission cover or case. If the bushing has a couple thousanths clearance, you should be fine.
Old March 14th, 2023, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Forgive me for sticking my nose in here.
Point of information: "Oilite" is a product name. The more common type of "Oilite" is fairly soft and the materials are compressed together. As a result, it contains pockets or channels that hold oil. There is actually a procedure for filling the Oilite bushings with oil and machining so you don't "smear" the pores closed.
Dorman bushings I have not seen or used. I doubt they are anything more exotic than common brass.

I would think that the bushing is to limit input shaft deflection and breaking the transmission cover or case. If the bushing has a couple thousanths clearance, you should be fine.
Thank you, Ralph. It sounds like if I have a machine shop make an Oilite bushing for me, they could potentially “smear“ the oiling pockets closed.

Has anybody used an Eagle crankshaft for a 455 matched up to a Tremec TKX transmission? If so, what kind of pilot bearing or bushing did you use? I believe I need something with 0.59 to 0.592 ID and 1.365 OD.

Does the conversion bearing measure 1.707 on the large diameter side with a smaller step that goes to 1.365? It seems like Eagle chose to use a non-conventional Oldsmobile size.
Old March 14th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Oldsmobile used the #7109 bearing in the standard shift crankshafts for years with no problems that I ever heard of; I have never had a problem with it either but yes there is a bronze bushing available somewhere if you don't like the bearing. The #7109 bearing measures 1.378" OD and 0.590" ID. The crankshaft should be bored 1.377" for the bearing or the replacement bushing (see the drawing). A good machinest could bore your crankshaft the correct size if Eagle did not.
Old March 14th, 2023, 12:10 PM

Thank you, Ralph. It sounds like if I have a machine shop make an Oilite bushing for me, they could potentially “smear“ the oiling pockets closed.

Has anybody used an Eagle crankshaft for a 455 matched up to a Tremec TKX transmission? If so, what kind of pilot bearing or bushing did you use? I believe I need something with 0.59 to 0.592 ID and 1.365 OD.

Does the conversion bearing measure 1.707 on the large diameter side with a smaller step that goes to 1.365? It seems like Eagle chose to use a non-conventional Oldsmobile size.
I think you are overthinking this. The bushing you have may work well enough. The bushing/bearing is to support the pilot end of the transmission. I would suggest you contact Cutlassefi (on here) and explain what you have.
Old March 14th, 2023, 06:15 PM

The crankshaft is already in the engine and the engine just got installed into the frame in my garage. I don’t want to yank it out and take it to the machine shop to be bored out.

Eagle decided to use their own bore 1.365 for whatever reason…. I fon’t know. I will manage. Perhaps, I am over thinking things. It’s an expensive transmission and I don’t want to fork over more money for a simple fix I can do now. That’s just how I roll. Do it right the first time or don’t do it at all.

I may end up buying the conversion bearing from Mondello Performance. They were going to measure one for me earlier today, but they don’t have any on the shelf. If someone has one of these bearings laying around, some measurements sure would be appreciated. I just need OD and width.Thanks to all.
Old March 14th, 2023, 08:48 PM

Quote "Eagle decided to use their own bore 1.365 for whatever reason…. I fon’t know. " Why dont you ask them? They may know the bushing you need.
Old March 15th, 2023, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by jmcghee
Quote "Eagle decided to use their own bore 1.365 for whatever reason…. I fon’t know. " Why dont you ask them? They may know the bushing you need.

I spoke with Eagle and they referred me to Mondello Performance. They sell the automatic crankshaft to manual conversion bearing. My concern is that the splines on the input shaft might be really close to the bearing. I’m trying to find some measurements for this bearing. Mondello didn’t have any in stock when I called the other day to get measurements. .
Old March 15th, 2023, 11:53 AM

Auto Gear offers non magnet-attracting bronze bushings.
Old March 16th, 2023, 04:37 AM

I know of at least one person that had an issue with one for exactly the reason you are concerned with. The splines on the input shaft hit the bushing. I would shy away from that method.

I looked in the Pioneer catalog and they do not have a solid Bronze bushing in the size you need. I would have somebody make you one out of oilite bushing material. I have had several made over the years and have never had a problem with the "smearing" you are worried about.

Where are you located ??

Old March 16th, 2023, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
I would have somebody make you one out of oilite bushing material.
Thank you Bill and to everybody for your help. That’s the plan. I have a friend at a machine shop making two of them out of Oilite for me.

Be warned future Eagle crankshaft with manual transmission folks. Eagles, crankshaft snouts are drilled differently than traditional Oldsmobile bushing or bearing sizes.
Old March 16th, 2023, 07:53 AM

Eagles, crankshaft snouts are drilled differently than traditional Oldsmobile bushing or bearing sizes.
I wonder if they did that by design or if it was a screw up ? Did they say ? I have one of Mark's 4" stroke cranks here and it is correct. Not sure who is making them for him.
Old March 16th, 2023, 10:50 AM

I wonder if they did that by design or if it was a screw up ? Did they say ? I have one of Mark's 4" stroke cranks here and it is correct. Not sure who is making them for him.
They didn’t say, although it sounded like it might be a somewhat common request. Whomever I talked to in technical support said they always just refer people over to Mondello Performance for the adapter bearing.

Just curious what your inner seat measures? Mine measured 1.365. The first seat that the torque converter would sit in, I think, measured 1.707.
Old March 16th, 2023, 11:51 AM

BillK, I forget who Mark has make the cranks, but its NOT Eagle or Scat.