Switch Pitch 400

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM

Switch Pitch 400

I need some advise on a 66 BOP "Switch Pitch" turbo 400. Its in a 66 Riviera, but they were used in olds as well as street cars. My brother Bought a 1966 Riviera out of a guys back yard and it it running, but trans starts puking out the breather after a few minutes of running, so much it runs itself near dry?

it did have some haphazard line put on it at one point, but saw no obvious kinks or errors.

Any ideas ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20121130_160108.jpg (63.1 KB, 10 views)
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM

Makes no sense it's coming out the breather unless severely over filled. Are the cooling lines attached to the radiator and not blocked? I'll start there
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM

filled

over fill was 1st guess too ...but confirmed stick was correct with other car. trans has distinct "whine" car moves ok, but easy to see where its been.

next step looping trans lines to see if cooler and or lines are obstructed ?

waiting for open lift

thanks
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM

A 'distinct whine' points to a front pump that is on it's way out. Is the fluid reddish pink? Does it smell burnt? Clogged filter possibly, although it's nothing more than a screen. It's also possible the filter has loosened and is not sucking the fluid up properly. Depending how long it sat maybe the o rings are dry rotted. Doesn't make sense that it's not moving fluid if it's puking it out like that but just throwing it out there.

I own and drive a TH400 S/P in my 66 and also had one in a 65 Riv but never experienced this problem. I'm no transmission expert, but just trying to help. I think looping the lines is a good first step but just a temporary one. TH400 S/P can get hotter just by the nature of the higher stall. While we're on that topic is that working properly? I know the Buicks use a different arrangement than Olds with a plunger type switch on the throttle linkage. Not sure if it has a low speed mode like Olds did or is only on at WOT
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:55 PM

its cool, we're open to anything ...i used to build trans's back in the 80's, but i'm no expert that's for sure. I have had good luck with forums, 100's of minds and experiences are better than 2. Already unplugged energizer wire for switch/pitch, when we get an open lift its pan drop and line jump (for diagnosis) We have to go through EVERYTHING 'someone" touched first, I have seen better work from a high-school shop class (the class I was in at least)

thanks

Ron