Shift lever stuck with key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2015, 08:43 AM
Damsel in Distress

Shift lever stuck with key in ignition

Need some consulting please!

I bought a 72 cutlass 2 dr 350 4bbl automatic on feb 14th, 2015.
Motor and Trans run and sound good, just some cleaning, and attention
The car has not been registered since 89 and really dont know how long its been sitting, THEY said they would run to store back and forth

I have been taking car to work at least once a week about 40 miles that day, and to school about 2 blocks away

I started the car and when I was trying to shift lever in reverse it was stuck, so I decided to turn car off and call for help..but then key got stuck as well turned half way..I couldnt move the lever to neutral to get it started at all, so I called a friend he was able to get in in neutral and started car and drove home..

Im going to go remove the cover/molding to the shift lever I will post a picture. Most of the time I can read the chilton manual sometimes I understand sometimes I dont...when I dont understand I reach out to someone

But if anyone could suggest...Going to check linkage...
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by becerra66
Need some consulting please!

I bought a 72 cutlass 2 dr 350 4bbl automatic on feb 14th, 2015.
Motor and Trans run and sound good, just some cleaning, and attention
The car has not been registered since 89 and really dont know how long its been sitting, THEY said they would run to store back and forth

I have been taking car to work at least once a week about 40 miles that day, and to school about 2 blocks away

I started the car and when I was trying to shift lever in reverse it was stuck, so I decided to turn car off and call for help..but then key got stuck as well turned half way..I couldnt move the lever to neutral to get it started at all, so I called a friend he was able to get in in neutral and started car and drove home..

Im going to go remove the cover/molding to the shift lever I will post a picture. Most of the time I can read the chilton manual sometimes I understand sometimes I dont...when I dont understand I reach out to someone

But if anyone could suggest...Going to check linkage...
Welcome. First thing, throw away the worthless Chilton manual and get a real factory Chassis Service Manual.

Second, is this car a column shift, factory floor shift, or converted floor shift? The possible failure modes can vary, depending on which it is.

Now, your real problem is the backdrive linkage that locks the shifter with the key. This was a federal requirement starting with the 1969 model year. The CSM will show you the details of this system and how to adjust it.

All column shift and factory floor shift cars have a rod running from the trans to a tab on the steering column. On column shift cars, this is the shift linkage. On factory floor shift cars, this is called a backdrive linkage and moves with the floor shift. In both cases, this linkage rotates a collar in the steering column that will lock with the key when you turn the key to the LOCK position. If the collar doesn't rotate fully counterclockwise, you won't be able to turn the key all the way to LOCK.

It is common for the bushings in this linkage to wear, causing the linkage to get out of adjustment. The linkage is visible under the hood, so don't go taking anything apart yet. For starters, grab the collar on the steering column just forward of the lock cylinder (where the shift lever is or would be on a column shift car) and rotate it as far counterclockwise as possible while trying to turn the key to LOCK. If you can't turn it enough, go under the hood and temporarily disconnect the linkage at the steering column, then turn the collar. This should let you remove the key.

If this works, figure out what's worn or out of adjustment in the linkage. Note that if this is a factory floor shift car, check to see if the shifter cable is worn and stuck, which also is common. That could be the root problem.

If this is a converted floor shift with an aftermarket shifter or an incorrect retrofit of a factory floor shifter, all bets are off.
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If this is a floor shift car, you may be able to get it to work by grasping the collar of the steering column which would otherwise hold the gear selector lever if the car were a column shift, and rotating it a bit one way or the other.

Otherwise, what Joe said.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:38 AM
Damsel in Distress

WOW!!!! thanks for that...great information..its original factory floor shifter...I will definitely check that out....I will get back with what I find out....man why you have to bust my bubble about my chilton I was so excited...mannnnn...but ok I will also order one of those CSM....
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The way that GM made the floor shift system comply with Federal regulations was to create the "back drive" linkage, as Joe discussed, which connects the transmission to the steering column, almost as though it were a column-shift car, but the movement goes backward from the transmission to the column, rotating the sleeve that would be the column shifter, if the car had a column shifter, which operates the key-retention-lock feature.

So, if there's too much play in the system, from bad bushings or whatever, if you rotate the sleeve, you can engage or disengage the lock.

Also, you don't actually need the backdrive mechanism, and can remove the backdrive linkage with no ill effect. If you do this, you can use the column portion of the mechanism as an antitheft device by rotating it into a position that won't allow the key to turn when you leave the car.

- Eric