Chatter under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2017, 05:41 AM

Chatter under acceleration

Hi Folks,

I've happened to notice the other day I'm getting a chatter like condition under starting acceleration or when turning a corner and accelerating.

For example I'm at a stop sign - road is clear - I go. I step on the throttle and the torquey little 350 wants to break the tires loose. When it start to go I get this feeling; a slight surge of power and chatter. Very light mind you but
noticeable (not quite enough to rattle your fillings).
It also happens if I'm driving down the road and want to turn. I slow down, blinker on, turn the wheel, accelerate as I go through the turn and the slight chatter happens.

Initial thought was a bad posi unit...but duh, then I remembered I don't have a posi rear.

Bad control arm bushings could be culprit but they've literally JUST been replaced and are properly fastened. In fact I noticed the chatter just before I was about to do the rear control arms. I also replaced the shocks and springs while I was there. The entire suspension was redone earlier in the week. Is it possible a slightly out of alignment front end could cause rear chatter?

I'm positive it's not the motor. She pulls hard and strong and although there's a slight misfire at idle she's not stumbling at all. It's a 2bbl 350 if that matters.

I was also thinking it could be transmission related? Maybe a bad bearing? I don't think I have a stuck brake drum but I could be wrong.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm having a hard time diagnosing this one. Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Administrator

It could be a lot of things. Check Uloints, brakes, axle bearings, body mounts, etc...
Old May 29th, 2017, 06:32 AM
72 Olds CS

Two peice driveshaft starting to slip? I've heard of it but haven't seen it. When I put the 455 in my car I took my wife for a ride when starting out she said it seems like something is slipping....that's the tires honey
Old May 29th, 2017, 08:23 AM

Chatter?

Mine made some noise when turning and excellerating once and it turned out to be the fan shroud was bent down just a little so when the motor mounts flexed it hit. Bent it back up with the motor off and gone.
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:09 AM

it's a lot of guess work without feeling it. Could be clutch if it's a stick, internal trans slippage if it's auto. Driveline vibration due to angle, worn bushings in trailing arms, rear diff binding, worn mounts, mis-aligned mounts, worn U joints, damage to any of listed plug a bunch more. Basically you need to do a general check of mounts, Joints, bushings. NVH could be a bitch especially with cars approaching a half century old and the chance of somebody using a wrong mount etc complicates it even more.
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's not pinging, is it?

- Eric