Tremec Conversion Kits

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2021, 03:43 PM

Tremec Conversion Kits

I'm leaning very strongly towards picking up a Tremec TKX 5 speed for my '70 Cutlass rather than trying to round up all the parts to do a Muncie conversion. The car is currently bench seat, column shift and getting a fresh 455. I have a '70 parts donor car with original bucket seat/console shift interior that will be going in.

There seems to be several Tremec vendors who offer conversion kits...everything needed to convert from an automatic to a Tremec 5 speed...such as Silver Sport and Modern Driveline. Can anyone comment in regards to the relative quality/ease of installation of the parts provided by any of the vendors or "best bang for the buck" in that regard? The transmission and price is consistent between them all, so it comes down to how good is their "kit" and service.

Also, if any fellow Canadians have experience importing something like this I'd love to hear your experience, additional costs and tips you may have for economizing.
Old November 19th, 2021, 08:20 PM

I've used Modern Driveline multiple times and have the TKX in my most recent 442 build. Highly recommend the trans and that company. They have great people to work with.

Old November 19th, 2021, 08:32 PM

Silver Sport is top notch. The modification they have done to my TKO to fit with factory console was spot on. I also recommend the hydraulic clutch conversion….such an upgrade over manual linkage.

Thanks!
Old November 19th, 2021, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 442Dude
I've used Modern Driveline multiple times and have the TKX in my most recent 442 build. Highly recommend the trans and that company. They have great people to work with.
Thanks, and fantastic work on your car! Did MDL provide everything for the installation? Is your console originally an automatic with a saddle for the stick, if so was that included in the kit?
Old November 19th, 2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by bennie442s
Silver Sport is top notch. The modification they have done to my TKO to fit with factory console was spot on. I also recommend the hydraulic clutch conversion….such an upgrade over manual linkage.

Thanks!
Thanks for the info! I got a quote from Silver Sport but want to make sure I'm not overlooking things. I'm with you on the hydraulic clutch - seems like a much slicker route and I know my knee will thank me for it down the road!
Old November 20th, 2021, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Thanks, and fantastic work on your car! Did MDL provide everything for the installation? Is your console originally an automatic with a saddle for the stick, if so was that included in the kit?
Thanks allot I appreciate it. My car was an original manual but then someone butchered an auto in there before I bought it. I fixed the floor and converted it back. I did buy all the trans, hydraulic clutch and PP, flywheel, pilot bearing and such from MDL. Great guys to deal with. I priced things out with the other vendors suggested but liked these guys the best.

MDL sold me that relo saddle for my Chevelle and 442 which allows you to use the factory console. Hope that helps.
Old November 20th, 2021, 07:02 AM
72 Olds CS

Ill add american powertrain toyour list.

id like to swap to the tkx w hydraulic set up too

i just saw that relocation setup for consoles thats awesome.

whats a ball park price on everything?
Old November 20th, 2021, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger

I think my setup was around $5K for everything. I'd have to confirm.
Old November 20th, 2021, 09:29 AM
72 Olds CS

Thats about what i was thinking. I have some parts already bellhousing, pedals some other misc stuff

any tunnel mods fitting the tkx? I know they say its smaller than the tko and fits w no mods, but its good to get real world feedback
Old November 20th, 2021, 09:32 AM

Thats about what i was thinking. I have some parts already bellhousing, pedals some other misc stuff

any tunnel mods fitting the tkx? I know they say its smaller than the tko and fits w no mods, but its good to get real world feedback

No tunnel mods this time on the 442. I had to do them for the TKO on my 67 Chevelle.
Old November 20th, 2021, 09:47 AM

Everybody seems to have the same price on the transmission itself, so any variations would come down to their pricing on the conversion components. The quote I got for the "full meal deal" was $5150 USD plus shipping ($700 USD to my location on the west coast of Canada). That's with the hydraulic clutch included. I don't think they included the console saddle in there but that's something I'd be verifying when I order it all.
Old November 20th, 2021, 10:05 AM

No tunnel mods required, just the shifter hump to be installed.

The pedal cluster portion of that quote is about $180 and the bellhousing $320.
Old November 24th, 2021, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
I'm leaning very strongly towards picking up a Tremec TKX 5 speed for my '70 Cutlass rather than trying to round up all the parts to do a Muncie conversion. The car is currently bench seat, column shift and getting a fresh 455. I have a '70 parts donor car with original bucket seat/console shift interior that will be going in.

There seems to be several Tremec vendors who offer conversion kits...everything needed to convert from an automatic to a Tremec 5 speed...such as Silver Sport and Modern Driveline. Can anyone comment in regards to the relative quality/ease of installation of the parts provided by any of the vendors or "best bang for the buck" in that regard? The transmission and price is consistent between them all, so it comes down to how good is their "kit" and service.

Also, if any fellow Canadians have experience importing something like this I'd love to hear your experience, additional costs and tips you may have for economizing.

I would add Bowler Transmission to your list.
Second, I would ask what your power potential or goals are, and if your are going to be putting this car on slicks or taking it to any sort of track? Remember the TKX is rated for 600ft lbs of torque. Some companies like Liberty are working on upgrades, but currently, if you are going to be making over 500ft lbs of torque, I would look towards the Tremec Magnum as your solution it is rated for 700 out of the box, and can be modified for over 1000. The weight of the car, gearing, and traction, all have allot to do with how much power the trans can really handle.

I have a 68 442, original 4spd car with a mild 67 400. Previous owner had a non-modified (shifter-offset) TKO600 installed by a shop that cut the trans tunnel and then installed a modified 71 Auto console with the auto to manual conversion bezel. This isn't my first TKO, so I'm used to some of the shifting "eccentricities" especially from the stock shifter. I've always found huge improvements by using aftermarket shifters with adjustable stops. The TKX is a marked improvement over that, taking what Tremec has learned from the T-56 and TR6060.
The TKX should not require any trans tunnel modifications. But if the upper shifter casting of the trans case is modified to offset the shifter, make sure that this is Tremec Authorized and does not void the Tremec Warranty. I realize that all the vendors discussed in this thread will provide their own warranties, but Tremec does have service centers that may make getting any issues or defects fixed much more easily. Especially with you being in Canada
There are multiple Tremec Distributors in Canada. Tremec Distributor Locator
I would also either piece together your own components for this, or work with someone that will let you spec out some some of the "kit" components. Definitely do a hydraulic conversion, but I would recommend the McLeod hydraulic conversion kit. I believe the 1434004 for the 63-72 Chevelle and at very least I would do the McLeod release bearing PN 1350 or 1350-1 should work for your application.
With the abundance of torque from the Olds engines, I would use a lightweight billet steel or even Aluminum flywheel, there is no need for that extra rotating mass. Just ensure that you pick internal or external balance to match however your engine is build. Those flywheels will also resist heat checking better than stock, and allow for more choices with your clutch. As for clutches, I'd go with a 10.5", I've had good luck with the Ram Powergrip HD and their 900 series friction material, but on cable and Z-bar linkages in my last cars, it was murder on my left leg. If you are over 500hp, and or going to be racing the car allot, I would look at one of the street twin disc systems from Ram, Ace Clutches, McLeod, or Monster. Those companies also make good single disc setups.
I've also had a good experience with the Centerforce dual friction clutch that came in, and is still currently installed in my car. But their centrifugal weights on the diaphragm create interference issues with some release bearings. So you have to be really careful about that and confirm with both manufacturers that it isn't an issue.

Old February 11th, 2022, 08:31 PM

Resurrecting this thread. This kit has my eye.
American Powertrain COGM-A2HMX American Powertrain ProFit Tremec TKX Manual Transmission and Installation Kits | Summit Racing
Only thing, I don't know if my bellhousing will work. 1969 442, 3spd manual (FoMoCo "Dearborn" tranny). Any thoughts on that?
Old February 12th, 2022, 06:26 AM
72 Olds CS

Look at your bellhousing, i think they were all a dual pattern ford and muncie, or just muncie.

top is dual pattern bottom is muncie