Transmission valve.

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:54 AM

Unhappy Transmission valve.

My 1950 Olds 98 is missing the transmission valve rod. The engine and carborator are not orginal to the car. The engine is a 1957 371 cu. I do not quite understand how this valve works. I believe that it is attached to the throtle linkage via the tv rod. Does this valve stay open while the tranamission shifts ? What postion is the valve open toward the engine or toward the rear of the car ? Is it possible to fabricate a rod that would work ? I do have a Rochester two barrel carb from a 1950 303 cu. that maybe I could use the linkage from. I just had the transmission rebuilt and they tell me without the tv rod it will be damaged besides it does not shift as it should. Thanks for any imput.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Although not familiar with that particular transmission, the rod works like the cable on a modern O.D. transmission.
As you depress the gas, it increases the line pressure which will give a firmer shift, and overcome the weights/pressure that are set to determine the shift itself.
Without the rod adjusted properly, you're inducing the shift at low pressure, causing slippage, which will cause premature failure.
If I rebuilt it, I wouldn't warrantee it unless I installed the rod, and knew it was adjusted properly!

Last edited by Rickman48; March 13th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Thank You for the information.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by renutter
My 1950 Olds 98 is missing the transmission valve rod. The engine and carborator are not orginal to the car. The engine is a 1957 371 cu. I do not quite understand how this valve works. I believe that it is attached to the throtle linkage via the tv rod. Does this valve stay open while the tranamission shifts ? What postion is the valve open toward the engine or toward the rear of the car ? Is it possible to fabricate a rod that would work ? I do have a Rochester two barrel carb from a 1950 303 cu. that maybe I could use the linkage from. I just had the transmission rebuilt and they tell me without the tv rod it will be damaged besides it does not shift as it should. Thanks for any imput.
First, what transmission is in the car, the original single range hydramatic, or the 1957 Olds Jetaway?

Both need TV rods, but the 371 had some different linkage then the 303 engine had. The TV rods themselves are similar, but I would go with the rod that matches up with the transmission.

Years ago I had a 60 Olds 371 and dual range hydramatic. I ended up making an adjustable bell crank (linkage at the rear of the left cylinder head) to accomodate the hydramatic TV rod.

The TV rod is toward the front of the car when WOT, to the back of car at IDLE.

Hope that helps.
Old March 14th, 2012, 04:09 PM

The transmission is not the Jetaway but an early 1950's hydromatic. Thank you. Your info was very helpful.