Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2015, 02:35 PM

Transmission help

Hi All,
I recently had what appears to be a vacuum sensor plug come out of my transmission on the passenger side and dumped all my fluid out, I can get it back in but I feel as if there should be some sort of retaining clip on in to hold it in place which I cannot find. Am I correct, and if so, can anyone tell me the part I am looking for? My trans is a 350. Thanks!
Old July 25th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Sounds like your vacuum modulator popped out. There is a retainer for it and the place where the 5/16x18 bolt (1/2 head) screws into the trans case (aluminum casting) has broken. You can buy a bracket to remedy this situation.
https://www.tsr-racing.com/th350-mod...r-bracket.html
These use an extension housing bolt to hold the mod in place, and should be available from many places, I linked this one to show what I'm referring to.
I see your in Brown Deer, I'm in Menomonee Falls and work at a trans shop in Waukesha. Let me know if you need any help.
Old July 25th, 2015, 03:55 PM

Sweet, the bracket is on order, thanks for your help. Since we are so close we will have to exchange info some time and meet up...us Olds ppl got to stick together!

Josh
Old July 25th, 2015, 05:29 PM

Have you been to the Olds Club of America 2015 Nationals? If not, you best be on your way! They're being held a the Sheraton Hotel on 375 S Moorland Rd, immediately South of Brookfield Square. Going on through tomorrow the 26th. Too bad our Olds' are awaiting repairs. I was there Thurs night for a few hours, well worth your while!
Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:46 PM

I could not have made it anyhow as I was working.

On another note, I am currently reinstalling the vacuum modulator and I came across this two prong electrical connector that I cannot find a home for that is hanging directly behind (toward the motor)of the vacuum modulator port. Any help on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tn.jpg (252.7 KB, 32 views)
Old August 4th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Josh70Cutlass
I could not have made it anyhow as I was working.

On another note, I am currently reinstalling the vacuum modulator and I came across this two prong electrical connector that I cannot find a home for that is hanging directly behind (toward the motor)of the vacuum modulator port. Any help on this?
That is the connector that plugs into the trans. One wire is for the TH400 kickdown solenoid. The other wire is for the Transmission Controlled Spark connection to the trans. Your car uses the TCS, but not the kickdown wire. It was cheaper for GM to make all the harnesses the same, no matter which trans was in the car. That wire is not connected to anything at the other end. The TCS wire runs into the engine compartment to operate the vacuum solenoid that routes vacuum to the vacuum advance. TCS was an early emissions control system and disabled vacuum advance in all gears except third. Pulling the connector from the trans disables that system, which is not a bad thing.
Old August 4th, 2015, 03:10 PM

the cutlass is back up and driving great. thanks everyone for your help.

Josh
Old August 4th, 2015, 08:55 PM

Glad you got it fixed. Cheers!