Transmission Chain Toro from70`s

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Transmission Chain Toro from70`s

Hello Oldsmobile community
I`m mike from Germany and owner of an Olds Toronado GT built 1970. When I start the Olds in Park position there is a nock,nock noise in the chain box between Engine and Transmission. I brake and shift in Drive Pos. the noise is away. When I brake now off and the car moved forward the noise is back -nock,nock. I think the chain is bad. Or??? Now my Question-can I change the chain when the engine is not moved out? Or is there enough space under the hood and I can moved the Engine some inches forward? Where have I the chance to buy the best chain? please excuse my bad english. and thanks for infos.
Old November 5th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Senior Moment Member

I'm positive you need to pull the motor and the trans to get to that chain. I think your best bet on finding another chain is to find a car that is being parted out and make a deal on the removal of the chain and shipping. It's not an easy part to take off the car. Good luck. Sorry about the poor German.
Old November 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile! You've come to the right place to find help on your Toro. These are sweet and unusual cars (I used to have a '69).

There appears to be a removable cover over the chain, but I'm not sure there is enough room to remove it (entirely), its probably pretty tight against the firewall. But you might be able to get it unbolted and off enough to inspect the chain to confirm that is the source of the noise.

Here's a post w/ some pictures that may be helpful:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post638171

You might also consider posting this question in the Toronado section of this board.
Old November 5th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You need to talk to member EightballZ.

He is in Germany and also has a '70 Toronado.

He's done quite a bit of work on it, so he may be able to help.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2014, 02:58 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of a Toronado chain going bad. Something to think about before doing anything drastic.
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I tend to agree, but without hearing the sound, there is not too much I can say.

- Eric
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Oldsdruid

I've never heard of a Toro chain failing either. My guess is a loose torque converter bolt.

Either way trans will have to come out for access- I don't think there's enough room between the cover and the firewall to slide the trans back far enough to do the work.
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:06 AM

Hello Old`s community
Thank you very much for so much good helpfull info. I rebuilt the starter and there is a small window where I can saw the bolts from the flexplate. They are all very fast. In Feb.2015 we have time (my friend and me) to built out the Engine. Than I can wrote you what has happen. Now I have contact eightballz,a German guy from our Olds community.
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I've never heard of a Toro chain failing either. My guess is a loose torque converter bolt.
From the description of the sound (knocks only when in neutral or when the car is moving, NO knock in drive w/ the car stopped) indicates something on the transmission side of the torque converter, NOT the engine side. Considering that the chain is a pretty reliable, it may also be something in the transmission (pump, input shaft, etc).

Oh wait....... if there is only one chain, and if it drives the input shaft of the transmission, how is the transmission pump driven? Isn't the pump (on a "regular" RWD trans) driven directly by the crankshaft via the TC shell through the outer hollow shaft and the two-notches, while the trans input shaft is driven by the fluid-coupled impeller inside the TC via the splines?
Old November 6th, 2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Germanmike
.... I rebuilt the starter .....
I bet your starter pinion is barely rubbing against the flex plate. But I say this without being able to picture in my head exactly how all this is oriented in a Toronado.
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
.. if there is only one chain, and if it drives the input shaft of the transmission, how is the transmission pump driven?
Both the pump and the converter are mounted on the back of the engine, in the "bell housing" part of the transmission.
The pump is connected to the rest of the transmission via oil galleries, and the converter is connected by the chain.

- Eric
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Hello Oldsmobile Community!
Here are some pictures of my car.
On one photo (there you see my finger) i want to show you where the described noise comes out. There it knocks, I felt it on my finger while motor was running.

Thanks for your help =)
Old November 12th, 2014, 07:32 AM

Is it just me? Link would not open the photos.
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:59 AM

Hello Oldsmobile Community!
Sorry, I made a mistake with uploading the pictures of my Toro, now I will put them directly with no link into the post and I hope it will work

I hope you can do something with my pictures!

Greetings from Germany

- Gm

Last edited by Germanmike; November 13th, 2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old November 13th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It looks like the noise is coming from under the torque converter cover.

You may just have some loose converter bolts. Remove the cover and see if you can get a wrench on them.

- Eric
Old November 13th, 2014, 07:38 AM

Hi Eric
I think the torque converter is on the other-engine-side. The picture where my finger was, is the transmission side. There I can feel a small klong with my finger while the engine runs. I rebuilt the starter and there is behind than a window where I saw the converter and the flexplate.The bolts from the flex are very firm(solid). Are there other bolts in the chain box?
Old November 13th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm sorry, but I really don't know - I've never had a Toronado.
I'd remove the cover and look, though.

- Eric
Old May 28th, 2015, 10:01 AM

Hello Olds Community
Now I`ve change the chain and the Toronado runs like the first day. What has happen: The owner before me change years before the torque converter and when they built in the engine withe the trans the make a damage in the steel cover on the top where the chain runs inside. So the chain and the cover was bad after time. I have luck because here in Germany sells a people a brand new original chain for 200$. When you remove the steel cover you see the chain. In the big gears where the chain runs over are holes where you must remove the seeger rings( both- torque side and trans side) The most work is to remove the engine with the transmission. Now I´m happy and will write it you. Mike
Old May 28th, 2015, 10:17 AM

Hello Mike, I am happy you were able to solve the problem and get the chain at a good price. The Toronado is not an easy car to work on so you were brave to take on that repair. It is good it got repaired correctly this time and should give you years of driving pleasure.
Jerry