Torque converter screw up

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:15 AM

Torque converter screw up

I was going to fire up the 403 this weekend for the first time since my restoration.
After a few beer last night with my buddy ,he asked "did you fill the torque converter?". It was a great question to which I did not have the answer. Another buddy Larry rebuilt the transmission 3 years ago. It had a cap on the input shaft and I think I remember moving it around and some fluid spilling. Not that confident in my memory.
So the $64,000.00 do I need to pull the tranny again? If I fire it up with no fluid will I damage the torque converter? will the tranny pump fill the converter once it's running?
I am really hoping for No, No, Yes! LOL

Thank you in advance.
Mike

PS Larry said the was a TH400 Torque converter. So it looks like the factory installed a TH400 converter on aTH350 tranny with the 403 cu motor.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:21 AM
Senior Moment Member

IMO, no. I think I did this as a kid having gone through so many transmissions until I changed to a Turbo 400. I don't remember ever filling a torque converter and the transmissions worked fine. Until I grenaded them.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If I recall (been a while), the TC should fill from the pan, no problem.

BUT, you will be surprised at how much ATF you are pouring down that dipstick tube.
The level will sit at about half a quart below FULL forever - at least until you overfill it.

- Eric
Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:10 AM

Thanks guy's you made my weekend.
MD, that's exactly what's happening. pouring the fluid and it seems to not fill. 10 quart is what the manuals say's on an overhaul. I put in 5 and it came up to 1/2 on the stick and I thought what the heck? So I should keep pouring and go slow on the last 2 quarts?
Regards
Mike
Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Pour it in half a quart at a time, unless you have one of those suction doohickeys that can suck the ATF back out through the tube.

Just turn it on, let it idle, pour, check, pour, check, etc.
Probably a good idea to run the selector through the gears every couple of quarts, too.

- Eric
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Pour it in half a quart at a time, unless you have one of those suction doohickeys that can suck the ATF back out through the tube.

Just turn it on, let it idle, pour, check, pour, check, etc.
Probably a good idea to run the selector through the gears every couple of quarts, too.

- Eric
As noted, the trans pump will fill the converter, however, you want to jack up the rear wheels before starting the engine. Fill the trans initially, start the engine, and run the trans throughout the gear range, pausing in each gear. Note: be sure to put your foot on the brake before moving the shift lever. With the wheels in the air, they will keep spinning when you change gears, which can cause a problem, especially when you try to go back into park.

Once you've done this, check the trans fluid level. It will be down. Fill to the line and repeat. Do this until the level doesn't go down. Be aware that the level should be low until the fluid is up to temp, however, so don't over fill.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:27 AM

As usual you gentlemen's help has exceeded my expectations. Thank you.
Joe, the car's in the air now. Actually has been about 2feet in the air for the last 5 years. I was going to drop it on the ground today, but my buddy's statement got me thinking. Sure glad I don't need to pre fill the torque converter.
Is the "fill the torque converter" before installing an old wives tale or is it just good practice? I have heard that before.
going to drop it on the ground, lift the rear wheels and make this Olds come alive again. It's going to be a good weekend. My birthday tomorrow and I am planning on taking my baby for a drive.
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted later tonight.
Mike
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Administrator

In the directions for most new torque convertors it says to add a quart into the opening prior to installation. That usually brings it to the level of the bottom of the opening when turned to the direction to install it.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Filling the converter is good practice, but not mandatory. It does make the full-run-repeat cycle go a little faster.
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Filling the converter is good practice, but not mandatory. It does make the full-run-repeat cycle go a little faster.
Thats right it's not required to fill the torque convertor prior to start up,on another note it will drain when sitting also.Nick