Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2015, 06:24 AM

th350 swap

72 cutlass 350
tranny on "last leg"
-car manual not handy and need to budget for parts shopping
-need specs
-need to know what other common parts that typically get replaced during swap
- engine build is mild (slightly modified but hp unknown)
-primary use is daily driver/cruiser
-want to swap automatic for manual/automatic as I think it'd be more fun to drive yet still allow for lazy weekend cruise
-thinking of swapping stock trans for TCI STREETFIGHTER
(summit p/n: 311100)

thank you
Old September 4th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Things to inspect and or replace,

Trans mount
brake cables (look for frayed or loose cables)
u joints

Others may think of more.

I always inspect as much as I can when under my car. Look at fuel lines and brake lines and bushing and so on. Always good to check it all.
Old September 4th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Things to inspect and or replace,

Trans mount
brake cables (look for frayed or loose cables)
u joints

Others may think of more.

I always inspect as much as I can when under my car. Look at fuel lines and brake lines and bushing and so on. Always good to check it all.

with the exception to the U-joint , all of that has already been replaced but thx !
Old September 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM

Torque converter.

Why not have a local shop rebuild your existing TH350 and install a Trans Go shift kit? That should cost several hundred dollars less than the Summit transmission. I recently had mine rebuilt for $800 including torque converter and that was the shop removing and replacing it.

Last edited by Fun71; September 4th, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old September 4th, 2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Torque converter.

Why not have a local shop rebuild your existing TH350 and install a Trans Go shift kit? That should cost several hundred dollars less than the Summit transmission. I recently had mine rebuilt for $800 including torque converter and that was the shop removing and replacing it.
The cost of labor in Hawaii along with parts would undoubtedly make the rebuild equally, if not more expensive, than a new one. Also, I like the manual/automatic feature.
Old September 4th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

pretty easy trans to re build with pretty basic tools.
Old September 4th, 2015, 08:08 PM

I dont have the time , patience , or know-how for this one so I'm leaving it to the pros this time.
Old September 4th, 2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oldskool84
The cost of labor in Hawaii along with parts would undoubtedly make the rebuild equally, if not more expensive, than a new one. Also, I like the manual/automatic feature.
Oh, how was I to know you are in Hawaii? You don't have your location in your sig line.

I guess you aren't aware that any TH350 can be manually shifted; you don't need a TCI transmission to get that function. Installing a shift kit can enhance that feature on the TH350 by giving you the ability to downshift at any speed. This also gives you the capability to blow your trans or engine if you downshift at too high a speed/RPM.
Old September 5th, 2015, 04:39 AM

While it looks like a good idea, what if there are probs with the new trans? How will these be resolved?

Have you even looked into a local trans shop or three and get an estimate?
If you don't have patience for a rebuild how will your patience get stretched when you get to remove the trans and send it back for repair/replace. Not that this will happen but what if it does. I think working with a local place can curb these type of headaches. And to me part of the fun of hot rodding and doing car things is learning how to do all things including trans overhaul. If you can get a trans in and out, overhauling one shouldn't be too much trouble.

That's just me. Maybe you get a core to overhaul and then swap it in to reduce the time you car is down.

Let us know how you make out with what you decide.
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Make sure when you order the trans it is for a bop application. The Chevy trans will not bolt up.
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Make sure when you order the trans it is for a bop application. The Chevy trans will not bolt up.
roger that
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by TexasT
While it looks like a good idea, what if there are probs with the new trans? How will these be resolved?

Have you even looked into a local trans shop or three and get an estimate?
If you don't have patience for a rebuild how will your patience get stretched when you get to remove the trans and send it back for repair/replace. Not that this will happen but what if it does. I think working with a local place can curb these type of headaches. And to me part of the fun of hot rodding and doing car things is learning how to do all things including trans overhaul. If you can get a trans in and out, overhauling one shouldn't be too much trouble.

That's just me. Maybe you get a core to overhaul and then swap it in to reduce the time you car is down.

Let us know how you make out with what you decide.
valid points, .. guess I have more homework to do. btw I also enjoy learning more about the inner workings of my car.Learning how to work on cars is why I bought an older car,but... my mentor left island and I'm frustrated with fixing things 2 or 3 times. I eventually end up paying a shop even more bc they have to figure out what I screwed up before they can get it back on the road. When I get back to the mainland I'll continue to tinker on her myself. The cost of shipping for parts(which can be greater than the cost of the part!) and labor in HI is simply too high .