Th350 second gear pressure bolt & other issues

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2021, 06:06 PM

Th350 second gear pressure bolt & other issues

So I just replaced the accumulator o-ring in my th350 in my 1969 Cutlass wagon, before that I also replaced the pan gasket and filter. I accidentally loosened the second gear pressure bolt. I fear that if dont tighten it correctly I'll damage or destroy my transmission. Even if it only wears faster I want to fix this correctly to avoid that. I just drove the car and it started spewing fluid I could see fluid dripping of the pan through a hole, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I stopped the car briefly to check the fluid and it was at the add line, but when pulled up into my driveway and checked the fluid it read super high. I could also hear it spewing fluid (even after I parked it) and haven't checked from where due to it being wet and dark. I'm young and new, but willing to listen and learn so keep that in mind. Will provide pics, but updates may be slow.
Old December 28th, 2021, 08:22 PM

What are you calling a second gear pressure bolt? Are you referring to one of the pipe plugs near the accumulator cover? Unless you cross threaded the pipe plug and cracked the case, some Teflon paste should seal it.

Can you post a picture of the hole you suspect fluid is dripping from?

Are you sure the o-ring that goes around the accumulator cover was seated correctly before you installed the cover? I have always placed the seal on the case first, lube the cover with vasoline, then press the cover on evenly.

post some pics of what your working with, hopefully I can help
Old December 29th, 2021, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
What are you calling a second gear pressure bolt? Are you referring to one of the pipe plugs near the accumulator cover? Unless you cross threaded the pipe plug and cracked the case, some Teflon paste should seal it.

Can you post a picture of the hole you suspect fluid is dripping from?

Are you sure the o-ring that goes around the accumulator cover was seated correctly before you installed the cover? I have always placed the seal on the case first, lube the cover with vasoline, then press the cover on evenly.

post some pics of what your working with, hopefully I can help

The second gear pressure bolt to the right of the accumulator(this is before I replaced the seal) I didn't use Vaseline on the seal but I did seat it and use atf. I haven't gotten a look at the underside yet, but I got it on stands and I'll check tomorrow when it's not dark. I'll run the engine to see if it leaks at idle. It was leaking at idle before, but when I replaced the seal it stopped.

Old December 29th, 2021, 08:04 AM

That’s a pressure port for 2nd gear. It’s a pipe thread, so a little Teflon pipe paste is all that’s needed to seal it.

Do you have a pic of the hole you described near the pan gasket?
Old December 29th, 2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
That’s a pressure port for 2nd gear. It’s a pipe thread, so a little Teflon pipe paste is all that’s needed to seal it.

Do you have a pic of the hole you described near the pan gasket?
Yeah that was a hole in the floor

Old December 29th, 2021, 01:26 PM

Got some pictures of what the passenger's side looks like now.