TH350 Leak From Yoke Air Hole

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2016, 10:39 AM

TH350 Leak From Yoke Air Hole

What is the current consensus on fixing a leaking yoke weep hole near the front u-joint? There are so many schools of thought on so many threads. I want to do the most prudent fix.

Some have plugged the weep hole with: JB Weld, brazed it, or used a Fitzall plug. Others have replaced the yoke with one that doesn't have a hole. Others replace the internal O-ring on the output shaft -- not a 100% solution for some, and not 'permanent' as the O-ring will need to be replaced again at some point. With all of the many seals on the trans, it would be nice to eliminate even one, if it wouldn't cause subsequent trouble.

Some say the hole is there to allow the tail to "breathe" when the drive shaft moves in/out on the output shaft. Others say the main trans breather hole on the top of the case will allow for that.

Has anyone had any issues after plugging the hole? Should I replace the O-ring and plug the hole?

Thanks for your input.
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:59 PM

If your driveshaft yoke has the breather hole, you need the o-ring on the output shaft. If you dont have vent hole, then the o-ring isnt needed and can be omitted.
Old August 10th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Administrator

You can just plug the hole.
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If I recall, there were two types: One with a hole, and one without a hole, but also missing one spline, so that the missing spline would vent the air that needs to move when the yoke telescopes.

I think.

I did have this problem at one time though, and I know that the PO had epoxied the hole, the epoxy had come off, and that I then brazed the hole closed, and I THINK I replaced the O-ring.

God, can't remember every detail now.

- Eric
Old August 11th, 2016, 08:26 AM

Thanks all.

I'm going to replace the output shaft O-ring inside the sleeve/cup. If the annoying drip isn't stopped, I'm plugging the hole. I have not read any post, on any forum, anywhere that mentioned a subsequent problem from plugging the hole (brazing it, putting a screw in it, using a Fitzall designed to plug it, etc.).

It would seem that if the hole is for air pressure relief (i.e. breather), then I don't want to have a new O-ring and plug the hole. That would / could result in some air pressure between the output shaft O-ring and the rear tail housing seal when the drive shaft moves in/out. So, it's one or the other, but not both. There can't be very much air pressure into the whole tail housing if the hole is plugged but the O-ring is removed.
Old August 11th, 2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If I recall, there were two types: One with a hole, and one without a hole, but also missing one spline, so that the missing spline would vent the air that needs to move when the yoke telescopes.- Eric
This is correct. And if you don't have the missing spline, the air has to be vented either out the yoke hole, or into the tail housing ... but if the O-ring on the output shaft is new and sealing correctly, there's no vent if the hole is plugged.

Last edited by Toms cutlass; August 11th, 2016 at 08:36 AM.