Th 400 and 2 spd converter interchangeable??

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Th 400 and 2 spd converter interchangeable??

SO I picked up a rebuilt long shaft 400 for really cheap with no converter I think it was from a buick. The numbers on the rectangular tag on the side are OA-69-1331 and I have the orig 2 spd in my car now. Im wondering can I use the converter from my 2 spd? Will it act like a stall? Also how do I tell if its a switch pitch trans? Its in a 66 cutlass convertible that came with the high compression 330 with a factory 4bbl. Can I convert the 400 to a switch pitch set up? If the 2 spd is a switch pitch can the converter be used without making the trans a switch pitch??? Im kind of confused. I really appreciate any help. Im hoping to get this into my car ASAP..

Thanks

Andy
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Switch/Pitch trans have a two prong plug on drivers side just above the pan rail. Top pin is to energize the S/P solenoid.

S/P converters do interchange between models but they can be different diameters 12 or 13 inch if I remember right. You'll get higher stall with a smaller converter.

Yes you can convert the TH400 to S/P. Requires a new pump and input shaft among other things. Jim Burek at PAE used to sell this conversion but looks like he's no longer in business. Joe P knows more about this.

No the converters do not interchange it ones a S/P and the other isn't.
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM

So if I use the Torque converter out of the power glide trans with the turbo 400 it will act like a stall converter any idea what the stall speed would be????

Andy
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM

I thought it was a 2pd Jetaway. I know S/P to S/P will interchange but S/P to standard will not or vice versa.

I can't comment on Powerglides, I have no idea
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you have an original 2-speed in a '66 cutlass, it is not a Powerglide, it's a Jetaway.

Completely different transmission.

As Alex, er, Deuces, says, a S/P converter is unique, and can only mate up with a S/P pump.

If your new trans is S/P, you need to pick up a S/P converter, and then rig a way to control the converter pitch (manual switch, custom electronics, etc.). Not sure why you'd want higher stall when you've got a S/P, which is already a switchable high-stall / low-stall trans.

- Eric