STIFF clutch pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2016, 09:37 AM

STIFF clutch pedal feel

Hi all!

I've had my car (1971 Cutlass convertible, 350/4 speed) for a little over a month now, Loving her! Except:

The clutch pedal feel is really, REALLY stiff, which gets pretty fatiguing in traffic.

So, I am wondering what, if anything, other 4 speed owners have done to "modernize" your clutch feel?

I do not know the specifics of what clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc are install currently, but my middle aged left leg is getting quite a bit more workout than I'd prefer!

Hydraulic conversion maybe?

Thank you in advance!!
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:32 AM

Keep me in the loop as I am hoping to assemble my 350 4 speed combo without a Hulk left leg scenario:-)

My assumption to start with would be to disassemble and check the bushing above your clutch pedal, then rebuild and verify each part of the Z bar/ball stud arrangement as friction/wear on each of these could be a factor..... These are external so easiest to work on first before surgery:-)

What I have researched says use a Diapgram clutch like Hays street stop or Centerforce and you should be fine. (Learning here not an expert)

Ryan
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:02 AM

Check clutch return spring, may be wrong spring. Possibly has a stiff pressure plate for clutch (heavy duty).
Old February 21st, 2016, 03:35 PM
Administrator

If you looking for the squishy marshmellow clutch the new cars have, sorry, it ain't happening with the old style setups. I've been told you can change to a hydraulic setup and it helps.

There is no clutch return spring, there is a spring that keeps the fork in contact with linkage rod.

Now if its really stiff and seems to be loosing adjustment then the pressure plate has issues.
Old February 21st, 2016, 03:51 PM

My '69 (W31) has an easy clutch, not a problem, my buddy's '70 442, that's a different matter, a lot of clutch effort.
Old February 21st, 2016, 04:15 PM

The clutch itself can be made to various spring pressures. I recall buying a stiffer one for my built 330 way back in the day. I was willing to live with more pedal force.

As for the external spring on the linkage, it should be almost negligible- it anchors to the fork LH end and then to the starter at least on the cars I have done. So, its purpose it to help bring back to at-rest position everything from the fork up to the pedal.
Old February 21st, 2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you looking for the squishy marshmellow clutch the new cars have, sorry, it ain't happening with the old style setups. I've been told you can change to a hydraulic setup and it helps.

There is no clutch return spring, there is a spring that keeps the fork in contact with linkage rod.

Now if its really stiff and seems to be loosing adjustment then the pressure plate has issues.
Clutch rod return spring, also known as clutch spring when working on clutch.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 06:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

What clutch is in the car? I've had VERY stiff aftermarket clutches. Now I only use Centerforce.

FYI, a stiff clutch will eventually lead to breakage of the clutch pedal. The arm that pushes on the clutch rod is only attached to the pedal arm with two spotwelds. Eventually, the heavy force of the clutch causes a fatigue crack and the arm will separate from the pedal. Do NOT ask my how I know this!

If you keep the heavy clutch, have the arm fully welded to the pedal.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:21 AM

That's a very good question Joe! I have a bunch of receipts, and one is for a clutch job, but there isn't much information on the receipt except cryptic numbers....