Solid motor mounts and 4spd?

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM

Solid motor mounts and 4spd?

Anyone running solid motor mounts and a manual trans on a '68/'69 442?

I just installed my flywheel/clutch/pressure plate and went to install my bellhousing and found I can't fit it on because of the engine sitting higher than stock due to solid motor mounts. I measured 1" inch higher from the passenger's side exhaust manifold to the engine crossmember on the solid mount car compared to my bone stock 4spd car.

I think I can loosen the motor mount bolts on the block and raise the front of the engine enough to install the bellhousing. My concern is binding on the clutch linkage and possible pinion angle issues after it is all back together.

Just wondering if any of you have run into the same problem?
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:51 AM

Correct solid mounts won't move the engine from stock height. However, it is common that you have to loosen the through bolt to allow the back of the engine to "droop" enough to remove the bell housing. I have been running solid mounts with a 4 speed for 40 years. Always use a stock rubber insert trans mount.
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Correct solid mounts won't move the engine from stock height. However, it is common that you have to loosen the through bolt to allow the back of the engine to "droop" enough to remove the bell housing. I have been running solid mounts with a 4 speed for 40 years. Always use a stock rubber insert trans mount.
Thanks for the info, I was thinking about loosening the bolts a bit too when I decided to measure the stock mounts I had off of a '71 I parted. The solid mounts in the '69 are around an inch taller than the correct factory mounts.

Today I'm lifting the engine and swapping the solids for the stockers. I'd like to run the solid mounts but who knows what they came off of or if the last owner fabbed them himself. I could not find a part number on them, so for now I will go back to the factory type set up so I don't have to worry about pinion angle, linkage binding, etc.