slim jim help

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM

slim jim help

I have a 62 F-85 with the 3 speed auto trans the 1-2 shift is very rude Jolting. a little slipage 2-3 but once in gear the trans is solid, I did put a holly 390 carb on and the linkage to the tv i made. the stock carb had a weird bel crank linkage(no longer in use) I never drove the car with the old carb and linkage as the shafts were so worn out i couldent keep it running. dose this linkage have any think to do with the shift performance of the trans. and if the linkage dose not have any thing to do with my problem where should i start? I want to keep the stocker it makes it fun to drive.
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:07 AM

Slim Jim trannys are noted for what some consider a rough shift. Yes, most certainly the tv linkage has a lot to do with the shifting. One needs to be very precise when adjusting it.
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:33 AM

I would think you will have to resurrect that linkage or one like it. These transmissions are VERY sensitive when everything is set up correctly and you need the moon to be in phase with Mars with all planets in alignment for that to happen. In reality the Slim Jim is probably the most complained about transmission on this forum, mine never was in adjustment after a rebuild and shifted poorly till the day it died,may it RIP. It can be done but not by anyone in my nick of the woods.Not many transmission shops will touch a Slim Jim....Tedd
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM

The carburetor and all of the linkage is very important to the transmission's shifting. See if you can find a transmission or repair shop that is familiar with the Slim Jim to help you get the linkage and adjustments correct.