Shift kit

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Smash

Shift kit

Thinking about a shift kit for my Cutlass. Standard 350 trans. It's a good time to since motor is pulled could drop tranny at a shop to give it the once over and install shift.
Pros & Cons ?? For me the pros are easy fun to drive. Anyone have any cons, should I consider anything diff with the motor build. ? and a ballpark price on a non clutched shift kit. Currently my 72 Cutlass does have the floor console.
Or can this wait and easily be done down the road. I will be around 2K for the motor rebuild but if it's way easier before hand to get this done, well time is money.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:48 AM

I would do it while the trans is out , mount it on an engine stand flip it upside down and get to it , .
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Smash

No nothing about transmissions. Been advised to take it to a mom & pop trans shop for the once over, instead of national chains. While doing routine tune up on it they could install the shift kit. I'm just learning all the motor stuff my brain might explode if I tackle the internal works of a transmisson.
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would replace the front pump seal and tailshaft seals while the transmission is out. It you are not comfortable, take it to a shop. They should not charge you very much since there is not much to it. Depending on what mods if any you are doing to the engine, you might want to consider a stall converter.
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:33 AM

Just let the tranny shop know how much power you will have coming from the engine and how you plan to drive it. They should be able to make it shift just right for you.
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

First, the shift kit isn't necessary if you want to use the car for just a daily driver. It will firm up the ***** a lot depending what kind of kit you use, if you like more of a jolting shift. Not a bad idea to have the trans gone through while it's out, especially if it's not been touched. But this is the same trans that had the 3400 stall converter? If yes, I would just install the converter you'd like to use instead of tearing everything apart. Chances are the trans is already built to handle any of the dd use you'll give it. Just my opinion.