It looks like a transmission...

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2014, 11:34 AM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

It looks like a transmission...

Hello all!

It looks like, after much reading, questioning, contemplation and back and forth pros and cons (not to mention a slipping JetAway), it looks like I am going to replace the transmission first, then the rear end then I am going to get to work on the engine.

Now, here is my question. I have the stock two barrel 350. After reading so much about the 200r4, it looks like that's the tranny I want, but I've seen much written about the TV (Throttle Valve?) cable and its role in the support or demise of the transmission. I have heard the same about the 700r4, so I am guessing its not that the 200 is junk. Anyway, the question: If I have the 200r4 installed behind my currently stock setup and (after the rear end swap) I choose to change the carb and intake, how is that going to affect the transmission setup? Will it be as simple as changing the TV cable / linkage (edelbrock for edelbrock stuff and holly for holly stuff) or is it going to be more involved than that?

I guess I have a couple quesitons...

I currently live in Weaverville, NC. Does anyone know of a reputable transmission shop that can reliably install these transmissions? I found a 200r4 builder in Florida that seems to have good prices at http://www.transdepot.net/. Is anyone familiar with this company? Do they make a good product? If you look at what they do to their transmissions, is it a good price for the product?

I am, probably like many of you, totally dependent upon trusting the product to be solid and the shop that installs it to be sound and reputable. I really don't want to make a $2500 mistake. I can't afford it.
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:11 PM

Im currently going through the same decisions, I first talked to Chris at CK Performance in New York. He makes alot of bilit parts for these and his sound like nice trannys. Hes very knowlegable about these trannys and his prices are reasonable.
So a guy here told me about another guy in Royse City, Texas. Jack Laswell, he apparently has a huge following of customers for his 200r4. I called him he said he has stocks the same bilit parts that CK has. He also said he would build me a trans for the same price as CK. So hes closer to me which i like. Now he said he would not recogmend CK but he would recogmend Lonnie at Extreme Performance Trans. He also said he already has now 5, 200's ordered to build and is having a hard time finding the good 200 cores now. Anyway i told him I have the money now and i want one now so I hope to get one from him. His phone is 214-478-4561, 71GSX@att.net I believe is his email. Ill look that up and let you know if im wrong on the email.
Sorry this is so long but were in the same boat and i wanted to share this with you.
Also look up Bowtie Overdrive they build them and have alot of info on their web site.
Steve
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Another thing, these trannys have been discussed quite alot here. They were not made to stand up to much torque. If I were you I would get one built that will stand up to some HP and torque. I want one that will take alot more punishment than i can give it. I dont want to be pushing it to its limits. So I think one with most of the bilit parts is the best deal for these big cars. You wont need a bilit output shaft but will need most of the other bilit parts. Call and talk to Chris, Jack, or Lonnie. Hell talk to all of them, I did as im trying to learn about these trannys. Apparently there tricky to get set up right and built right, but very good when done right. Im also considering keeping my turbo 400 and getting a Gear Vendors overdrive, which are rated to 1200 HP. Im ready to buy something, just not sure which direction to go. The GV overdrive will probably require a small amount of modification to the drive shaft tunnel and having the drive shaft shortened. 200r4 I think requires the drive shaft to be lengthend a small amount. Also if you have the stock carb it wont have the provision to mount the TV cable, I think Bowtie Over drive sells adaptors for the carbs or you can change out the throttle shaft with a later one, or change carbs. Getting the TV cable adjusted right is critical to the life of the trans. Theres a good article about it on Bowtie Overdrives site I think.
Steve
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Let me ask a seeminly unrelated question to this transmission question. If I get a 200r4 transmission, is it going to require better cooling, like a better radiator? I am contemplating getting an electric fan for better cooling in traffic, but does that mean I need a different pulley setup? I thought about what's going on and I guess since a transmission seems to fall in the 2k range I will get the carb and intake with the proper throttle valve setup in preparation for the transmission as well. I am selling some music gear to buy the transmission but that'll take time. I have about $800 so I figured I'd get what I can in preparation for the bigger ticket items. I thought in that preparation process I'd get a better radiator for the transmission cooling needs.

What are your thoughts? Am I even on the right track or is all of this unnecessary? There is nothing, that I can see anyway, wrong with the radiator, I am not sure if the new setup is going to need better equipment, it seems like it may.
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1968CutlassSupreme
Let me ask a seeminly unrelated question to this transmission question. If I get a 200r4 transmission, is it going to require better cooling, like a better radiator? I am contemplating getting an electric fan for better cooling in traffic, but does that mean I need a different pulley setup? I thought about what's going on and I guess since a transmission seems to fall in the 2k range I will get the carb and intake with the proper throttle valve setup in preparation for the transmission as well. I am selling some music gear to buy the transmission but that'll take time. I have about $800 so I figured I'd get what I can in preparation for the bigger ticket items. I thought in that preparation process I'd get a better radiator for the transmission cooling needs.

What are your thoughts? Am I even on the right track or is all of this unnecessary? There is nothing, that I can see anyway, wrong with the radiator, I am not sure if the new setup is going to need better equipment, it seems like it may.
I wouldn't change the radiator just for the transmission. But I would add an external transmission oil cooler. These are available aftermarket and typically are attached just in front of the radiator. It will look like a small radiator just for the transmission oil.

John
Old June 17th, 2014, 07:09 AM

I'm almost exactly where you are now. I changed my rear gear from a 2.78 to a 3.90 a few years back, and am now in the process of swapping the Jetaway for a 200-4R. A leaky rear axle required me to upgrade it first before the trans. I plan on a engine rebuild including a switch from a 2-bbl to 4-bbl carb in the future.

I got the trans from CK Performance (street/strip build, ~$1900 + shpg) and most of the install parts (including a TV-EZ kit for a Rochester 2-bbl) from Bowtieoverdrives. The TV kit includes an adapter that fits under the carb and gives a mounting point for the TV cable. Later when you upgrade the intake to a 4-bbl, all you have to do is get another TV kit for the appropriate carb and go through the TV cable setup process again. These kits are not too expensive.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I wouldn't change the radiator just for the transmission. But I would add an external transmission oil cooler.
+1, that's my plan too.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; June 17th, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old June 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Setting up the TV cable is about 12 seconds worth of work.
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:55 AM

Don't count out the venerable TH350, especially if keeping the rear end at 3.42 or taller. I'll bet it ends up about $1k cheaper by the time you are done which will buy a lot of gas that the OD will save (or go towards the other improvements you want).

My opinion only and I have no experience with the 200r4. Sure sounds good if you have the budget or do a lot of highway miles though.
Old June 17th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hookem horns
My opinion only and I have no experience with the 200r4. Sure sounds good if you have the budget or do a lot of highway miles though.
The beauty of the 200-4R is twofold. The lower first gear as compared to the GM three speed automatics improves acceleration, with any rear end ratio. The OD lets you use a steeper rear gear without limiting top speed or causing excessive revs. I'm not installing one for mileage, but for performance.