Jetaway or Turbo Hydromatic ?????

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Jetaway or Turbo Hydromatic ?????

I have a 65 olds dynamic 88 convertable with 425 motor. I always thought it had the 400 hydromatic transmission, but someone recently told me that Oldsmobile switched over to the Jetaway' s in the early 60's and that i probably have the Jetaway. My books cover both transmissions. So how do you know which one you have. Is there some kind of markings or something thats on one that would not be on the other, that someone could see and tell the difference.

thanks for the input, chris
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dynamic88
I have a 65 olds dynamic 88 convertable with 425 motor. I always thought it had the 400 hydromatic transmission, but someone recently told me that Oldsmobile switched over to the Jetaway' s in the early 60's and that i probably have the Jetaway. My books cover both transmissions. So how do you know which one you have. Is there some kind of markings or something thats on one that would not be on the other, that someone could see and tell the difference.

Is this the original trans? If it's a two speed (PRNDL) it's a Junkaway...er, Jetaway. If it's a three speed (PRNDSL) it's a TH400.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM

its the prndsl. okay that makes since then. i take it the jetaway's are junk?. thanks for the help again joe. chris
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:41 AM

........ i take it the jetaway's are junk? ........
Depends who you talk to. I'm happy with mine.

Norm
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Jetaway - TH2004R transmission swap

I have a 65 olds dynamic 88 convertable with 425 motor. I always thought it had the 400 hydromatic transmission, but someone recently told me that Oldsmobile switched over to the Jetaway' s in the early 60's and that i probably have the Jet-away. My books cover both transmissions. So how do you know which one you have. Is there some kind of markings or something thats on one that would not be on the other, that someone could see and tell the difference.

Hi
I'm in the middle of a jet-away to a TH2004R swap on my 1965 F85 with the price of gas going up and up, I wanted to do something to make it a better car by trying this, I have spent much time looking around for information on this and I have ordered parts and from Bow Tie overdrives just need the time to get it in. from what I have read I have to move the cross member back about 7" and do a careful set up with the TV cable check pressures and temperatures. but ILL see when I get there.
any feed back would be helpful
wish me luck
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM

i take it the jetaway's are junk?.
Don't believe everything you read, especially if you read it on the internet. This is how old wive's tales get started.

I had a '64 Jetstar 88 for about 5 years back in the '90s. When I bought the car, it had 112,000 miles on it, and when I sold it it had 130,000. The Jetaway on that car gave me no trouble at all while I owned it.

I don't think your car would have the Jetaway, anyway, because I think the Jetaway was used only on the low-end, full-size Oldsmobiles (in addition to the Cutlasses) during the years it was offered. As I said, it came on my '64 Jetstar 88, and that was the only transmission offered for that car. The other full-sized Olds's that year came with the Turbo-Hydramatic. For '65 (and '66), it would again have been offered only on the Jetstar. If you have a '65 Dynamic or Delta 88, you would have had by default the THM, and you couldn't have gotten a factory-installed Jetaway even if you had wanted one.
Old April 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Jetaway - TH2004R transmission swap

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Don't believe everything you read, especially if you read it on the internet. This is how old wive's tales get started.

I had a '64 Jetstar 88 for about 5 years back in the '90s. When I bought the car, it had 112,000 miles on it, and when I sold it it had 130,000. The Jetaway on that car gave me no trouble at all while I owned it.

I don't think your car would have the Jetaway, anyway, because I think the Jetaway was used only on the low-end, full-size Oldsmobiles (in addition to the Cutlasses) during the years it was offered. As I said, it came on my '64 Jetstar 88, and that was the only transmission offered for that car. The other full-sized Olds's that year came with the Turbo-Hydramatic. For '65 (and '66), it would again have been offered only on the Jetstar. If you have a '65 Dynamic or Delta 88, you would have had by default the THM, and you couldn't have gotten a factory-installed Jetaway even if you had wanted one.
Hi it has the console shifter with P R D L ? that is what I was told it was , it might not be factory. but it is a two speed Tranny.
Old April 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 409sleepr
Hi it has the console shifter with P R D L ? that is what I was told it was , it might not be factory. but it is a two speed Tranny.
That sounds like the Jetaway. It is a 2-speed transmission, so there would be no "S", which everybody thinks stands for "Second" as in second gear but which Oldsmobile called "Super." With just Drive and Low on yours, I would expect that it's the Jetaway, whether the shifter is floor-mounted or column-mounted. You have a '65 F-85, and the Jetaway would have been the automatic offered on that car that year.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 05:30 PM

im in need of a T.V adjustment tool (BT-33-2)
to adjust the T.V lever on my 1962 olds cut.
can some one help. Thanks Bay Area Ca.