How to remove hurst shifter handle (66 manual tranny)

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Ben

How to remove hurst shifter handle (66 manual tranny)

I'm getting ready to install new carpet in my 66, have everything out except the shifter handle. This is the orignal factory hurst shifter.

I've Got the boot off, and i can see some bolts, one that goes front to rear- and one big one that goes door to door.

What do i need to do to pull this out without disturbing the shifter adjustments?

Thanks-
Ben
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Ben

went back out and took this photo...

DSC00102.jpg
You can see the big bolt on the side, and then just above it covered in grease running front to back is a littler bolt and nut

Thanks for any advice!
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Geezer

Why remove the shifter at all? Just make a couple of measurements, cut a slit in the carpet at the right place for the shifter to go through. Once the carpet is otherwise in place cutout how ever much carpet needs to be removed. If you have the old carpet use it as a guide.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:56 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Why remove the shifter at all? Just make a couple of measurements, cut a slit in the carpet at the right place for the shifter to go through. Once the carpet is otherwise in place cutout how ever much carpet needs to be removed. If you have the old carpet use it as a guide.
X2
But if you still want to remove it, it is that big bolt on the drivers side, it just goes through the shifter and the handle base to attach the shifter. Doesn't even hold the handle in (but the bolt has to be out to remove the handle)

Actually, that is an excellent reference pic to show the hole and flange for a 4-speed. The hole in the floor was rough cut, and a particular flange and location was used for each the 3-speed, 4-speed, and auto. Yes, the 3-spds and 4-spds were different.