How to adjust 3/4 hydramatic shift

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:45 PM

How to adjust 3/4 hydramatic shift

Wading my way through service manual #2 and I think the 3/4 shift point is 65-70 mph. If that's the case can it be adjusted to occur at a lower speed, how?
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
Oldsdruid

Helps to know what year but #2 manual sounds like a 64. The 3-4 shift is controlled by line pressure which is controlled by the TV (throttle valve) rod adjustment. The special TV rod tool makes it easier but can be done without it. Search around on here and on AACA.org and there should be some posts about TV rod adjustment.

A 3-4 shift at 65-70 mph should be only at wide open throttle. Normal driving you should be in high gear by 40 mph at latest.

Helps to know that the 1961-64 Olds HydraMatics are in fact Roto-Hydramatics AKA Slim Jim. The books refer to 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts but for all practical purposes the RHM is a 3-speed unit, as the 1-2 shift occurs in that Accel-A-Rotor thing in the fluid coupling.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:04 AM

adjustment

Thanks for the tip, yes it's 64 88. I'll search on AACA for the TV rod adjustment.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:35 AM
Oldsdruid

I think I have it stickied under the Oldsmobile Technical forum there. Look for dlh61olds who is Dave Holt in Colorado. He had some of those Slim Jim TV rod setting gauge tools made. Not sure if he still has any.

d2willys on here knows a lot about HydraMatics too. Maybe he'll pick up on this post.
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:32 PM

Or if you can't find the sticky on here there is one on the AACA forum under Oldsmobile general discussion that is quite good, Rocketradier may have started that one also.... Tedd
Old November 9th, 2014, 10:59 AM

Not having any luck here.
I emailed dlh61olds and haven't had a response. I called Bill Sawyer in Tn but his phone has been disconnected.
Can anyone sell me a BT 33-1 tool or loan it to me so I can get my car into 4th gear?
Old November 10th, 2014, 01:28 AM

If you can't get or make the tool, you could try shortening the upper T.V. rod and/or lengthening the lower T.V. rod (trial & error), but remember where it was originally set in case it doesn't cure the problem. Other things can cause the high shift.
Old November 10th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Thanks Ozzie I'm just about at that point that I'm going to going to do trial and error. I hate doing this way because I had one burn out the clutches years ago and I've read about all the mistakes on here swagging out the adjustments, but I don't seem to have any choice.
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Here's another thought. It may not have anything to do with it, but if that fluid has been in there for 50 years, you might consider doing a complete fluid change. I've seen new fluid loosen up sticky transmission components before. A minimum throttle shift to the top range should be much lower than 65-70 MPH.
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:49 AM

That's on my to do list so I think I'll bump that up. The po probably changed it but maybe not.
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Here's yet another thought that you've probably already checked. Be sure that when the shift lever is in "D" or drive position, the transmission is in the same position. If the transmission is in the "S" position while the gear shift is in the "D" position, the transmission will perform exactly as you describe; a forced up-shift will occur at 70-82 MPH into the top range and will downshift when the speed reduces to 65-78 MPH.
Old November 10th, 2014, 10:49 AM

My little shift indicator is MIA. So I feel my way thru L&S to D. Now whether the linkage below at the tranny is at the right position is unknown. Do you know what position would be drive at the tranny...like all the way forward or back?
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Oldsdruid

It would be a mid-point of its travel. If you can get the car on a lift, put it in park and see where the transmission end shift lever is. Then disconnect its linkage and push it as far in that direction as possible. With handbrake off, try to move the rear wheels. If they're locked, you've confirmed Park. Then pull the lever down 2 detents from there which will be Drive.

Is the pointer what's missing? Sometimes they'll fall down behind the dash. Take the steering column lower cover plate off and see if it's hiding in there.
Old November 10th, 2014, 01:05 PM

Thanks I'll give it try soon.
Gene
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:03 AM

Sounds like good advice overall, and particularly the DR-S position. Make sure that the transmission is two clicks from Park. That will be DR, the next will be S, then Lo, then R.

If still no upshift, then a faulty governor could be the problem. The TV lever adjust is very important, so do that adjustment first.