EEK!!! no likey this noise

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2011 | 08:39 PM

Sicky, I wish I could justify the drive to SA...I would love to hear it in person. The chirping noise is what gets me, if it was knocking it would be a deep thud sound. It would also get faster as rpm increased, not go away as you suggested.

It's odd that it won't stay running without giving it gas...what heads are on it? Did you have new valve guides put in it? You said it sounds like every other rotation, like when an exhaust valve or intake valve opens / closes. Might a bent pushrod scraping the head cause that noise as well? I believe I would pull a valve cover and rockers off and start looking there...but again, I'm not hearing it in person.
Old September 25th, 2011 | 09:24 PM
NôôB

I got c heads on there now. I did notice that one of the push rods had some rust on it. And no I didn't put ne valve guides in it. I left the heads the way they were on the rebuild...
Old September 26th, 2011 | 09:26 AM
Oldsdruid

Here's something way out in left field, but it's possible. I took a 76 455 off the road for a knock that turned out to be this.

Pull the fuel pump and see if the lever is worn or looks like it's been dry. If the timing chain area isn't getting lubed thru the orificed plug, the fuel pump eccentric could be running dry and causing all this chaos.
Old September 26th, 2011 | 10:40 AM

When you rebuilt it you did put a new cam in correct? New lifters?
Old September 26th, 2011 | 01:33 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Here's something way out in left field, but it's possible. I took a 76 455 off the road for a knock that turned out to be this.

Pull the fuel pump and see if the lever is worn or looks like it's been dry. If the timing chain area isn't getting lubed thru the orificed plug, the fuel pump eccentric could be running dry and causing all this chaos.
Pulled the fuel pump already and it looked fine just the normal wear... Wish it was that

And at ah64, we used a cam that another member had with his lifter combo (dont worry the lifters were put in the exact same way they were to the cam). The cam weused MAYBE had 5k miles on it....
Old September 26th, 2011 | 03:36 PM
NôôB

Just got done draining the oil. Seems to be fine, no metal chunks or anything like that. color looked good same as consistency, Ruling out the spun bearing.... for now, Will probably start taking off the intake manifold to check out the push rods and see if i can see the cam bearings with it off

Keep the ideas coming in guys, this one is baffling people that is for sure
Old September 26th, 2011 | 03:37 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Sicky, I wish I could justify the drive to SA...I would love to hear it in person. The chirping noise is what gets me, if it was knocking it would be a deep thud sound. It would also get faster as rpm increased, not go away as you suggested.
Well last time we did it it seemed to get faster with the RPM not quieter. And there are people here in SA that are helping that are in the club but they have there own broken down messes lol.
Old September 26th, 2011 | 04:01 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
cheap mechanics stethescope or loud screwdriver to isolate the sound in the bottom end

Where can you buy those all I can ever find is the quiet ones.

I hope you figure this out and its simple but it does not sound good at all. You need to cut you oil filter apart and look for any metal. The squeak and fact that it wants to die at idle is a bad sign. Really sounds like a bearing to me.
Old September 26th, 2011 | 08:14 PM
NôôB

Well here is what a buddy of mine from high school thinks and it kinda makes sense to me... what you guys think

Ya sounds like a compression leak to me either head gasket or intake gasket the exhaust port in the intakerunner for crossover.

This would explain the oil leak i have as well that i have been having
Old September 27th, 2011 | 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
You need to cut you oil filter apart and look for any metal. The squeak and fact that it wants to die at idle is a bad sign. Really sounds like a bearing to me.
Listen to Richard before you turn the engine over again. It takes 15 minutes & $10 for a decent filter to confirm that there's no metal in there
Old September 27th, 2011 | 01:04 PM

I agree with gearheads...cut your filter apart and then use a magnet to collect metal from the oil that is in the filter. Also look at the filter element for metal shavings.

If this was a compression leak it wouldn't be this loud. No offense to your friend but you'll never know if there was a leak between cylinders, it would just have no power. You can do a compression test on it but it will only tell you that it is NOT a head gasket leaking.

It's only work to pull the engine and check out the bottom end...might take you 2 days, but at least you'd know for sure and be able (possibly) to make the cruise in October.
Old September 27th, 2011 | 01:34 PM
NôôB

It's only work to pull the engine and check out the bottom end...might take you 2 days, but at least you'd know for sure and be able (possibly) to make the cruise in October.
Oh i am going on that cruise lol. if i have to i will be taking the caprice, but the 70 SHOULD be here by then and we shall see how that one is also lol
Old September 29th, 2011 | 09:56 AM

Listen to the sound while under the side of the car...if it gets louder then my guess is some interference with Flexplate and or Torque Converter. Really doubtful its internal to the engine...bearings don't normally " squeek "...

Let me know

Danny
Old September 29th, 2011 | 10:28 AM
NôôB

I didnt know you were on these forums MAN!!!! You are always welcome to come over an take a look at it . Wanna see if i can get it up and running/fixed so i can run it at the BOP shootout. So i am hoping for the sake of not pulling the engine apart it is the freaking flexplate or torque converter....
Old October 24th, 2011 | 06:53 PM
NôôB

So i got under the car and took a jab at it, quite literally and i noticed i have Bronze itty bitty flakes in my oil?

Thoughts and here is a pic of it leaking out, you can see the stream in it for the color=
Old October 24th, 2011 | 08:09 PM
Oldsdruid

Bronze leans more toward distributor gear, possibly valve guides. Copper or silvery would lean more toward bearings.

Didn't you say it sounded like at the back of the engine?
Old October 29th, 2011 | 06:24 PM
NôôB

Danny (79WCars) came over and looked at the engine and we decided that it was an internal problem, so today i pulled off the intake manifold and this is my findings...

The flake that i took a picture of is a piece that i pulled out of the valley. You can see another one in another picture also.
Old October 29th, 2011 | 06:42 PM
NôôB

this time with pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0286 resized.jpg (92.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg
flake.jpg (21.5 KB, 58 views)
Old October 30th, 2011 | 09:36 AM

Wow that's crazy man. I've wiped out lobes before, but never had a noise like that just the rattle from a loose rocker. That one lobe looks dry. I would suspect that you are going to find a spun cam bearing that has sent debris into the oil passages.
Old October 30th, 2011 | 09:56 AM

I just ran across this post. This sounds exactly like my engine when I spun a rod bearing. It has happened twice and both times it sounded the same. On my engine the bearings overlapped and that caused it to be tight on one side causing the squeal. It sounds kind of like a slipping belt but deeper in the engine. If you found copper in your oil it is probably from the bearings. Hopefully this is not the case but it sure sounds like and as it gets tighter the harder it will be to keep your engine running at idle.
Old October 30th, 2011 | 10:10 AM
CQR

^^^This. Sorry to say sicky. Hopefully the crank is salvageable.
Old October 30th, 2011 | 10:26 AM
NôôB

Originally Posted by ROBZ442
I just ran across this post. This sounds exactly like my engine when I spun a rod bearing. It has happened twice and both times it sounded the same. On my engine the bearings overlapped and that caused it to be tight on one side causing the squeal. It sounds kind of like a slipping belt but deeper in the engine. If you found copper in your oil it is probably from the bearings. Hopefully this is not the case but it sure sounds like and as it gets tighter the harder it will be to keep your engine running at idle.
yeah sums it up i say....

on to another rebuild....
Old October 30th, 2011 | 11:44 AM
Tony

Originally Posted by sicky olds
Well... The guy who rebuilt the engine was me and a buddy in my garage... So can't ask for a free fix on that. Just seems weird cause I almost put 1k on the motor and you would think it wolff have happened before that? But the guy who machined it def did. He does everyones motor in the club
why not have him listen to it sounds like bearing if its turning over hard drain the oil and see if there is metal in it
Old October 30th, 2011 | 01:38 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

1k into thewhole engine ? did you just do a simple re ring and bearing with fresh gaskets and new cam. With machining i would expect it to be over 1k into the bottom end i have almost 1k into mine and i polished the crank my self and honed out the cylinders . what brand bearings did you use .
Old October 30th, 2011 | 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
1k into thewhole engine ? did you just do a simple re ring and bearing with fresh gaskets and new cam. With machining i would expect it to be over 1k into the bottom end i have almost 1k into mine and i polished the crank my self and honed out the cylinders . what brand bearings did you use .
thats a 1k miles not $$$$$k
Old October 30th, 2011 | 05:54 PM

Bummer dude... Sorry to hear about such bad luck.
I hope the next rebuild will be the last!
Old October 30th, 2011 | 06:01 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

@ firefrost i didnt see aything noting money or miles lol my bad . but that sucks bout the engine none the less hope its not too bad and it can be corrected without spending lots of money .
Old October 30th, 2011 | 06:16 PM

I have followed this tread and car . I talked to the guy he got it from and was looking at it myself. Wrong time , wrong car but was thinking of making a offer
Still have some photo's that i was sent on my pc.
Old October 30th, 2011 | 07:44 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
thats a 1k miles not $$$$$k
ACTUALLY it was both 1k miles and around 1k as well. Had the machine shop hone 4 and resleeve 4 cylinders, polished crank and got a re-ring kit and gasket kit and we did the rebuild in my garage. Parts were still good that we put back in, and put a new (used) cam in there as well, only had about 6k mileage on the cam from before.

Not sure what bearings brand was used,threw the box away, maybe the receipt says, but the machine shop ordered them for me as well so i would have the right size.
Old October 30th, 2011 | 07:48 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
I have followed this tread and car . I talked to the guy he got it from and was looking at it myself. Wrong time , wrong car but was thinking of making a offer
Still have some photo's that i was sent on my pc.
Stalker LOL but igot to admit, not sure how this fits in here Firefrost, so i am just curious on why you said this lol
Old October 30th, 2011 | 07:56 PM

Sicky! That sucks man...I'll be in SA on Tues...going to Ft. Sam. Are you close? I'd love to stop by and see the car, I assume it's not going to make it to the Fredericksburg cruise. Will you be driving the '70?
Old October 30th, 2011 | 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
Stalker LOL but igot to admit, not sure how this fits in here Firefrost, so i am just curious on why you said this lol
More or less just letting coppercutlass that I wasnt just trying pick on his
point of a 1k comment.
Old October 30th, 2011 | 08:44 PM
NôôB

Sicky! That sucks man...I'll be in SA on Tues...going to Ft. Sam. Are you close? I'd love to stop by and see the car, I assume it's not going to make it to the Fredericksburg cruise. Will you be driving the '70?
will talk to you on FB with tuesday, talking to you right now actually and i am not sure if i will be taking the 70 on the cruise, need to find out why it is stalling on me lol, getting a q-jet rebuilt though,but we shall see
Old October 31st, 2011 | 05:55 AM

when you get into this thing check your crankshaft thrust... the fact that it(noise) seemed to start at the rear of the engine and then you find copper flakes as opposed to silver colored debris in the oil makes me wonder about the crank thrust... the odd thing is that it ran fine for 1k miles... maybe some crud got loose somewhere and blocked an oil passage?
Old October 31st, 2011 | 10:29 AM
NOVICE car nut

mannnn sicky , thats a bummer... that would be enough to make me cry after spending the money on a rebuild , sorry for your luck