Dual gate issue

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Dual gate issue

Hello, Great to be here at classic oldsmobile. I have installed a dual gate shifter in my 1970 cutlass. I used a year correct shifter and a GM NOS dualgate cable. The shifter will not throw far enough to get low gear. If I adjust it to the other extreme at the transmission, it will not reach park. Any ideas or experiences? Thanks
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

You should make the underside lever longer, so it has more throw distance.
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
You should make the underside lever longer, so it has more throw distance.
I concur. There are only two variables here, the lever arm length at the trans and the lever arm length at the shifter. The shifter arm pivots, which translates into linear motion for the cable. At the other end, the linear motion of the cable causes rotary motion of the shifter shaft in the trans. One thing to try is to disconnect the shift cable from the trans and measure the total available throw in the cable when the shifter is moved from park to low. Now manually rotate the shift arm on the trans and measure the travel of the pin that the cable attaches to in the fore/aft direction (parallel to the cable). If the two measurements match, there's a problem someplace else (do you still have the backdrive linkage installed?). If they don't match, you have the wrong bracket on the trans shaft.
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Past Administrator

Well, there you have it. Two good answers from two of our premier members. Can't get any better than that. Welcome to our site.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Thanks

Thanks Guys, I agree, I have measured that throw and the cable does not move the required distance. Some have mentioned a longer arm at the transmission. I have never been able to find one that was any different than the one I have. There is only one shifter for that year so it must be at the transmission. I have the #'s matching turbo 400 in my car. Have any of you ever seen a different lever/arm for the transmision ? Thanks
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Hey sshriber, is this the shift arm you used? It's the one that I picked up to use with the dual gate I'm getting ready to install, I'm hoping I don't run into the same issue, good luck with yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
parts 002.jpg (30.5 KB, 40 views)
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sshriber
Thanks Guys, I agree, I have measured that throw and the cable does not move the required distance. Some have mentioned a longer arm at the transmission. I have never been able to find one that was any different than the one I have. There is only one shifter for that year so it must be at the transmission. I have the #'s matching turbo 400 in my car. Have any of you ever seen a different lever/arm for the transmision ? Thanks
If the cable doesn't move far enough, then you need a shorter arm on the trans. A longer arm on the trans would require even more throw from the cable.
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Registered

The lever pictured is the correct type for a dual-gate. I have a poncho with the His and Hers shifter and there's a longer lever without the interlock? tabs for the 69-70 regular poncho console shifter.
The cable binding or the case flexing is one probem I've seen on the poncho sites. When pushing the cable through the casing If it flexes or twists and some pressure is being put on that instead of the trans lever and it wont click in place. They also can come apart inside at the ends and it causes just enough slop to not let it work correctly. Bad engine grounds can cause arcing inside the casing and fry it.
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Gents, Thanks for the great information. I can not view the images here. Is there an upgraded membership I need or something? Thanks
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM

I converted to a dual gate and had exactly the same issue. How many of the parts are non olds specific?

It took me several adjustments to get it right. I believe my culprit was the aftermarket lever on the transmission. Shifter came from a Cutlass. Cable was new GM.

If any one else is planning a conversion i have a very detailed set of drawings to help you locate the shifter to the floor. Some people say use the "marks" on the hump. I didnt find those marks to line up with factory placement. I took extensive pics and measurements from a factory installation.

I would be happy to help anyone taking this on.
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:56 AM

dual gate

I can now see the pics that you guys posted. Joe, I will crawl under my car tonight, but I think that is the arm I have on my trans. How can it get any shorter? Di they mnake more than one trans arm? thanks