Dipstick help for 350, swaped for a Jetaway 300

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Dipstick help for 350, swaped for a Jetaway 300

I have no clearance for the original dipstick (350) since the hole on the 300 was on a 45deg angle and the fact that the hole on the 350 sets back farther under the floorboard leaves me in a "pinch". Any ideas? I have been told that the flex tubes are highly troublesome. Does anyone have any positive feedback for the flex, or is there a make or model that has the bend I desire?

floorboard
_____/

_i-i___

dipstick hole

I need a dipstick that comes out of the tranny verticly for 2" then a 90`.
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Loose Radical

In my '65 I went from the 300 to a 400 and I ruined 2 dipstick tubes trying to make the angles work. I went flexible from Ebay and have had no issues.
The only thing people comment on is that the end of the tube should be anchored to the block and not the firewall because of twisting. I have not made that change yet but (knock on wood) no problems with it.
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:46 PM

yes, I also ruined 1 trying to bend it, went to the local tranny shop and they said they could order me a universal replacement, but when I went to pick it up it was the same bend that I attempted to modify, so, I believe flex is in my future as well. Which brand and which type of flex did you purchase? I want this thing running before summers over, its been down almost a month now, issues issues issues, and I have yet to begin modifying my kickdown cable to my carb, theres a fine line between love and hate!!
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM

Waiting for Lokar flextube in mail, things finally turning corner...I miss my Baby, cruising soon!!
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM

All done now where was I? Oh yea..... Cruisin!
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM

TH400 and TH350 use the same dipstick tube and it is very different than the ST300. I currently use a bolt in firewall mounted one from Lokar and it is sweet but you have to remove the pan to make it work and it is expensive. I haven't had any luck with aftermarket sticks other than Lokar. An original GM would be nice too. If you want to buy my old chrome Spectre one I'd sell it for $25 shipped. It needs an o-ring for the bottom but is fine otherwise.
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by Route66Cutlass
All done now where was I? Oh yea..... Cruisin!
pics?

Install details?
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by nonhog
pics?

Install details?
Install details? I got the transmission and a locking torqe converter so each time I wrestled the tranny under the car and jacked it up lined it up I didnt have the clearance to spin the flywheel. My last tranny install on a 89 dodge van didnt go so well because I didnt have the tc pushed back completly and it "was unsucsesfull". So I didnt want the same results and I took the tranny off an on off and on each time measuring the distance from the bell housing to the tc. Ofcourse my jack stands wouldnt give me the proper lift and I had to slide the tranny on a moving pad to get it under the car then lift it on the floor jack ( father in law gave me a broken ttanny jack) so I had the wife hold the jack handle to make it stable enough to put the tranny on, and listen to her give me ideas on how she thought I should do it as I sweat and groaned and I finally had to tell her to shut her F"n mouth and just hold the damn thing still! I finally got the father law to come out and he took one look and said its a locking torque converter. F"k me running. I called the junk yard where I now have yard credit for a 96 1 ton dodge van I swapped for 500 and told him wtf and he said come on down and grab it. So I changed the seals front and rear, changed the filter and gasket and as far as the dipstick I also bought a Lokar from jegs which. cost $100 And it doesnt leak so it was worth it. I couldnt achieve the correct bend without it.