compatibility of dual gate shifter

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:00 AM
AGK

compatibility of dual gate shifter

1) Need to get some expert advice on the compatibility of a dual gate shifter we'd like to put in our '69 Cutlass. I've been able to locate a few dual gate shifters, but they are mostly posted for GTO's, etc. Comparing them to pictures of a '69 H/O, they look identical to my untrained eye. Can anyone tell me if they are compatible or not....

2) The Cutlass currently has a standard floor shifter (previous owner converted from column shifter). Can I just swap out the current shifter and insert the dual gate shifter (assuming I find a compatible setup)?

Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by AGK
1) Need to get some expert advice on the compatibility of a dual gate shifter we'd like to put in our '69 Cutlass. I've been able to locate a few dual gate shifters, but they are mostly posted for GTO's, etc. Comparing them to pictures of a '69 H/O, they look identical to my untrained eye. Can anyone tell me if they are compatible or not....

2) The Cutlass currently has a standard floor shifter (previous owner converted from column shifter). Can I just swap out the current shifter and insert the dual gate shifter (assuming I find a compatible setup)?

Thanks
First, the Pontiac and Olds dual gate mechanisms are essentially the same, but the shifter sticks are different. Pontiacs used a straight stick, Olds (and aftermarket dual gates) used a dogleg stick.

Second, the dual gate does NOT bolt into the stock 67-69 console. You either need to convert to one of the repro 68-69 H/O mini consoles or custom fabricate the brackets and top plate necessary to adapt the dual gate to your stock console.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

I don't know why they discontinued them.
I love em,just don't want to pay $500+
I think they are one of the best designs yet.
The safety jerks and their reverse lockout for dummies infuriates me.
You can never quickly shift from reverse to forward etc.
The dual gate was a nice and smooth operating shifter.