Clutch fork issues

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Clutch fork issues

So I began getting my Saginaw 4-speed ready because I had some spare time, when i started mocking where the bellhousing would go on to see if the clutch fork I had would fit. It snapped on but had clearance issues with the bellhousings fork hole.
The trans was off of a chev motor including its fork and housing and I am using the trans with my 350 olds so I got the shown BOP housing cheap to mate up.
My question is, if I buy a new fork, will it be different? The forks on summit say they fit olds AND chev, so shouldn't this one, or do I need to find another housing. any knowledge I can get will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (696.2 KB, 36 views)
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Another picture
Attached Images
image.jpg (682.7 KB, 30 views)
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:37 PM

Aaand another
Attached Images
image.jpg (468.0 KB, 24 views)
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1978 Oldsmobile Omega
So I began getting my Saginaw 4-speed ready because I had some spare time, when i started mocking where the bellhousing would go on to see if the clutch fork I had would fit. It snapped on but had clearance issues with the bellhousings fork hole.
The trans was off of a chev motor including its fork and housing and I am using the trans with my 350 olds so I got the shown BOP housing cheap to mate up.
My question is, if I buy a new fork, will it be different? The forks on summit say they fit olds AND chev, so shouldn't this one, or do I need to find another housing. any knowledge I can get will be appreciated.

Is there more than one hole in the BH for the ball stud to screw in to? As in, can it be moved up? I believe that all of the forks are generally like the one you have in the pic. If the ball stud cannot be moved, then you need a different BH, or relieve the bottom of the opening for clearance.
Old August 8th, 2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Is there more than one hole in the BH for the ball stud to screw in to? As in, can it be moved up? I believe that all of the forks are generally like the one you have in the pic. If the ball stud cannot be moved, then you need a different BH, or relieve the bottom of the opening for clearance.
There seems to be no other hole, I really don't want to try and find another housing and certainly don't want to buy a housing new. Would you think that if I make clearance in the fork hole that it will line up and be the correct fit?
Thanks for your help
Old August 8th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1978 Oldsmobile Omega
There seems to be no other hole, I really don't want to try and find another housing and certainly don't want to buy a housing new. Would you think that if I make clearance in the fork hole that it will line up and be the correct fit?
Thanks for your help
I would tend to think that would work. I would probably try a small grinding wheel in that area, and finish it off with a file so it is nice and smooth (you don't want it to look like you took an air chisel to it.........) There is virtually no up/down movement at the end of the fork as the Bearing rides on the transmission collar so you don't need to go much past where the fork clears the hole.

Last edited by RandyS; August 8th, 2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:07 PM

You have a G body bellhousing, it takes a special fork. It is sorta rare and worth more than the bellhousing you need. If you grind on it you will ruin the value. I would find the correct housing and sell that one for profit.
Russ
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4speed
You have a G body bellhousing, it takes a special fork. It is sorta rare and worth more than the bellhousing you need. If you grind on it you will ruin the value. I would find the correct housing and sell that one for profit.
Russ
Hey thanks, I didn't even think about the applications, I don't like to cut up old things and was searching for a bellhousing. Would you happen to know what sort of value I am looking at, Canadian-wise, things just seem to have higher prices in Canada probably the Supply and demand factor, thanks for your help
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:30 PM

You need a BOP bell housing which is what yours appears to be, an Olds fork. Chevy forks are not the same. You probably need the short throwout bearing.
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
You need a BOP bell housing which is what yours appears to be, an Olds fork. Chevy forks are not the same. You probably need the short throwout bearing.
What exactly is the difference? Because for a different fork to work it would need to have an off-centered clip for the pivot ball or be a strange S shape. The housing has an indent above the pivot ball where the pivot ball needs to be for my application, wouldn't what Russ said make sense? That it is just for a different model(s) and there were two locations for the pivot ball and this one is the wrong one? I wish it had a code so I could at least look it up
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:57 PM

I was thinking in A body terms and what I said may not be true with the Omega. With the A body there is a certain shape fork that they all used with Olds engine. The Z bar changed some over the years but the fork did not at least from 64 to 72. I thought all the bell housings were basically the same so then the forks would be too....?? Could be wrong, have no Omega experience.