Bad electric down shifter switch??

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Bad electric down shifter switch??

I have a 67 Olds cutlass with a 2 speed. I think the electric down shifter switch might be bad. It has power going to it but When I checked the wire going to the coil as you give it throttle it initially has power for a split second and you can hear the coil click but as you give it more throttle it loses power.

Nails
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Is it a switch-pitch, or were they just on 3-speeds?

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Is it a switch-pitch, or were they just on 3-speeds?

- Eric
I'm not really sure. The switch is located behind the carb linkage and mounted on the firewall. Maybe it's called a kick down/converter switch? I think when it's activated it sends 12v to the solenoid, which kicks down the trany.

Nails
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Does it look like this? Then it's a switch pitch along with the downshift. The top contact, marked #2, is for the downshift solenoid in the trans. It's connected to the bottom prong on the two prong plug in the trans case behind the shifter lever. The bottom tang, marked #1, is the Switch Pitch connector, it goes to the top prong on the two prong connector in the case. The one connector by itself is indeed the 12v source. If you still have the two connector electrical cable attached you can't go wrong because the connector only goes on one way on either end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TA.jpg (50.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by TripDeuces; June 7th, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Nails
I'm not really sure. The switch is located behind the carb linkage and mounted on the firewall. Maybe it's called a kick down/converter switch? I think when it's activated it sends 12v to the solenoid, which kicks down the trany.

Nails
A 1967 should have a switch pitch trans. How many terminals are on the switch?
Old June 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
A 1967 should have a switch pitch trans. How many terminals are on the switch?
Three terminals, a two prong and a single.The two prong wires are going down to the trany. It looks like that picture.

Nails
Old June 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM

The switch consists of several brass contacts and springs on the inside. While rebuilding mine I found out basically how it works. Just off idle it activates the S/P solenoid so you have a little more torque initially. Roughly about 1/4 throttle it goes back to low stall. Flooring it activates the S/P and also the downshift solenoid. It's crude really but it worked for it's day.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'coil' in your original response, maybe you could explain that?
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
The switch consists of several brass contacts and springs on the inside. While rebuilding mine I found out basically how it works. Just off idle it activates the S/P solenoid so you have a little more torque initially. Roughly about 1/4 throttle it goes back to low stall. Flooring it activates the S/P and also the downshift solenoid. It's crude really but it worked for it's day.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'coil' in your original response, maybe you could explain that?
I though that the wire coming off the switch went down to a coil by the tranny. I miss understood the whole thing.

While driving in second gear at any speed and you floor it the tranny won't down shift.
So is that the switch pitch?
Rebuilding mine is probably over my head. Can you still get them?

Nails
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM

There are two solenoids in the tranny, each hooked to the two prong plug in the case. One is for the S/P and the other for the downshift. You need to determine if it's the downshift solenoid, throttle assembly or the 12v source.

I would check the 12v feed wire marked 'Bat' first. If it's not supplying power then you'll have no S/P or downshift.

If that checks out go to the next step. With the engine off floor the throttle and see if you have power to the top prong on the throttle assembly. If you do then the throttle assembly is ok. More than likely the solenoid inside the tranny is to blame. They make an audible click when power is supplied to them so applying 12v to the bottom prong in the case should tell you that.

This will give you a step in the right direction. Let us know what you find.
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM

There are two solenoids in the tranny, each hooked to the two prong plug in the case. One is for the S/P and the other for the downshift. You need to determine if it's the downshift solenoid, throttle assembly or the 12v source.

I would check the 12v feed wire marked 'Bat' first. If it's not supplying power then you'll have no S/P or downshift.

If that checks out go to the next step. With the engine off floor the throttle and see if you have power to the top prong on the throttle assembly. If you do then the throttle assembly is ok. More than likely the solenoid inside the tranny is to blame. They make an audible click when power is supplied to them so applying 12v to the bottom prong in the case should tell you that.

Thanks I'll start there.
This will give you a step in the right direction. Let us know what you find.
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM

I checked The single prong and it had 12v, I then checked the top prong and it doesn't have 12v off throttle(or ever). But the bottom prong has 12v going to it at throttle and even off throttle and when you wiggle the kick down switch the 12v shuts off. I unpluged the prong and fed 12v to both the top and bottom prong and you can hear the solenoid click on each one. We took the car for a drive and fed 12v to the top prong and the trans downshifted. Would you say that the kick down switch by the throttle is bad. I've been searching for one but no luck. You said that you rebuilt yours?

Nails
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Yes I took it apart and cleaned it inside and out. I had to repair a bad contact also. it was very gummy on the contacts but I guess that's expected after 40 years. Here are some pics
Attached Images
Cover Backside.jpg (45.6 KB, 22 views)
Switch Contacts.jpg (59.9 KB, 22 views)
Switch Inside.jpg (31.2 KB, 17 views)
T. Switch (2).jpg (125.9 KB, 17 views)
TA (2).jpg (48.2 KB, 19 views)
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Yes I took it apart and cleaned it inside and out. I had to repair a bad contact also. it was very gummy on the contacts but I guess that's expected after 40 years. Here are some pics

Thanks for your help.
I'm going to try and give it a shot at this point I have nothing to loose.