B&M TH350 separator plate

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:22 AM

B&M TH350 separator plate

Hello, I'm looking for some hole measurements that feed the 2nd and 3rd clutches on the B&M separator plate that is included in the B&M shift improver kit and I believe the Trans Pack kit also. I have installed the improver kit, setup for heavy duty not wanting the harsh shifts that so many have experienced in the street/strip variation. Since installing I have found builders information on increasing torque capacity and firming up the shifts and builder recommendations not to drill the feed holes to the 3/16" that B&M recommends for their improver kit. I'm looking at maybe firming up my shifts by increasing the 1-2 and 2-3 feed holes to what a builder recommends and increase the torque capacity in the process. The B&M heavy duty setup is not as firm as I would like. If these feed holes in the B&M unmodified separator plate are near the builders recommendations of .125" (1/8") I will leave this separator plate in place and use a new higher pressure regulator spring. Does anyone have access to a B&M Shift improver or Trans Pack kit to measure the feed holes for me. See link for hole locations this is a stock plate but location are the same for B&M plate. http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/224/th350feedholes.jpg
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM

Well, I found a picture of the plate, a ebay seller was kind enough to send me. The feed holes look to be larger than stock, especially the 3rd clutch feed, it looks to be at least .125" or 1/8" in dia., the stock plate hole is .078" which explains why there is a problem with burning up 3rd gear in the TH350, B&M sizes this hole no doubt to handle more torque shifting into high gear under heaver load such as towing, and explains why the 3rd gear shift is good and firm. That 2nd feed hole looks very close to the stock dia. of .100", probably to aid in durability of the intermediate sprag, huh? That little bugger could be a little larger to help me feel the 1-2 shift at part throttle with the stock pressure regulator spring. So I think a 170-190lb spring is in order, leaving the B&M plate in place and just dropping the valve body, and replacing the spring. Should firm up both shifts. Called the B&M tech line to find out these hole sizes, either he didn't know or he wouldn't disclose the trade secret, or maybe laziness. God for bid you modify their parts to suit you needs LOL.
Attached Images Copy of B&M Separator plate 2.JPG (98.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Wireman134; July 4th, 2009 at 05:52 AM.