Automatic Floor Shifter - Performance Gate

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:26 PM

Automatic Floor Shifter - Performance Gate

Hi Guys,

I have a 1968 Cutlass S with a 700R4 that has the standard Olds console shifter (installed by previous owner).

My question is:
Are there performance gates available that allow gated 1-2 & 2-3 shifts?
I'm thinking it would not be difficult to make or modify the stock gate for positive gated/detent shifts for 1-2-3 with a positive stop after 3rd.

I routinely race the car at the track and hate it when I shift 1-3.

I purchased a B&M Pro Ratchet to install, but I would rather keep the stock shifter and console configuration if possible.

Any suggestions?

Picture of same console and shifter attached.

FYI:
My car has 455 (bored 0.030 over), comp extreme cam, comp hyd. roller cam, comp roller rockers, Edelbrock performer heads, performer intake, Pro systems 950 carb, 3.42 gears, 12 bolt rear end, runs low 12.18 @ 112 mph.

Cheers,
Attached Images
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

No, the dual gate was never an option in that console. Waaay back on my first car (a 1968 VC I inherited from the parents), I adapted a Pontiac click shifter to the Olds console. Stock Pontiac floor shifters from that period had a sort of ratchet feature in that if you pushed the stick to the right while you pushed it forward (from first to second, for example), a small spring loaded barb would stop the shifter in second. Once you released the lever, the barb would release, so when you went for the 2-3 shift, the same thing would happen. Worked great and was very easy to install in the stock 67-69 console.

You can adapt a dual gate, but you will need to fabricate a custom top plate. The H/Os used a totally different mini console with the dual gate. You can buy those repro now.
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, the dual gate was never an option in that console. Waaay back on my first car (a 1968 VC I inherited from the parents), I adapted a Pontiac click shifter to the Olds console. Stock Pontiac floor shifters from that period had a sort of ratchet feature in that if you pushed the stick to the right while you pushed it forward (from first to second, for example), a small spring loaded barb would stop the shifter in second. Once you released the lever, the barb would release, so when you went for the 2-3 shift, the same thing would happen. Worked great and was very easy to install in the stock 67-69 console.

You can adapt a dual gate, but you will need to fabricate a custom top plate. The H/Os used a totally different mini console with the dual gate. You can buy those repro now.
Thanks Joe, I figured as much.
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:02 AM

There was a retrofit Dual Gate made for 700/200 transmissions. Long since discontinued, hard to find, expensive (appx $600). If you can find one complete it would be nice but not easy, when I've seen them come up on ebay it is usually like hyenas competing for a baby antelope.